CFO/Diocesan Finance Officer
The Finance Officer is the senior administrative person and chief lay staff position accountable for the overall management and control of Diocesan finances. This position is a steward of fiscal resources in support of the mission and goals of the Diocese of Santa Rosa. The Finance Officer is expected to exercise prudent and independent judgement and take initiative to ensure overall long-term stability of administrative departments and smooth day-to-day operations of the Chancery.
The position of Finance Officer in a Diocese is required by the Code of Canon Law for the Roman Catholic Church.
Reporting to: Most Reverend Bishop Robert Vasa, Roman Catholic Bishop of Santa Rosa
Status: Exempt, full benefit eligible
Salary: Commensurate with experience
- Supervises administrative heads of departments including Controller, Property & Risk Management, Human Resources, Benefits, Development, Advancement, and Cemeteries.
- Controls the maintenance of Diocesan temporal goods including cash, physical assets, and property.
- Approves all financial transactions.
- Oversees maintenance of bank accounts, general ledger transactions, financial reporting, accounts receivable and accounts payable.
- Secures insurance coverage for all Diocesan operations which includes all parishes, schools, Newman Centers, cemeteries and other Diocesan properties.
- Approves construction contracts, lease agreements for office equipment and other legal agreements within the Finance Officer’s authority as recommended by the Diocesan Finance Council and approved by the Diocesan Bishop.
- In collaboration with Controller, develops comprehensive internal review programs for parishes, schools, Newman Centers and other Diocesan departments and entities as required by the Code of Canon Law.
- In conjunction with the Diocesan Bishop, Controller and Insurance and Human Resources Committee, manages the self-insurance fund and annual self-insurance rate charged to entities.
- Works with Directors and Diocesan Bishop to establish information technology strategies and purchase internal communication tools for the Chancery and Diocese.
- Conducts periodic Parish Financial Management training for Deaneries with Vicar General.
- Liaison to multiple Diocesan councils and related committees.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Skills Required
- Dedication to the mission of the Diocese, its parishes, schools, and social services; strong familiarity with and commitment to Catholic teachings and principles.
- Practicing Catholic.
- Excellent technical skills in finance and accounting, strong experience with information technology as a management tool, and demonstrated ability to work in a large, complex, and multi-entity organization and laterally across functions.
- Strong management skills.
- Knowledge of insurance and investment principals.
- The successful applicant, upon employment, will be required to submit verification of his or her legal right to work in the United States.
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 10 years related work experience in Accounting and/or Finance. CPA preferred.
- Five years of supervisory experience.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and other common software
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills
- Preferred – experience with fund accounting and understanding of diocesan and parish organizations.
- Requires ability to sit up to 7 hours per day with intermittent occasional walking, standing, bending and squatting.
- Requires driving and occasional overnight travel for conferences and audit/reviews of Diocesan Parishes, Schools and other entities.
- Occasionally may be required to lift up to 25 lbs. to a height of 4-5 feet.
- Occasionally may be required to carry items up to 25 pounds for distances up to 50 feet.
- Requires using a computer, mouse, and keyboard for an extended period of time.
- Benefit eligible position: sick, vacation, medical, dental, vision, life, wellness, and pension
*Qualified candidates can send a letter of interest and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Position open until filled