Associate Director, Director of Communications
The Duke Catholic Center is a spiritual home for students at Duke University that creates a welcoming Catholic community; grounded in the Eucharist, intellectual growth in faith, social justice and the nurturing of leaders.
The Associate Director, Director of Communications is an employee of the Catholic Diocese of Raleigh and reports/is responsible to the Director of the Duke Catholic Center (DCC). The Associate Director, Director of Communications works closely with the DCC staff, the DCC Advisory Board, students, university officials and other religious life staff members in providing for the spiritual life needs of Catholic undergraduate, graduate and professional students. The Associate Director, Director of Communications takes lead responsibility for all DCC Communications. The Associate Director, Director of Communications carries out of the Mission of the DCC as follows:
Responsibilities: (Percent of Time)
- Pastoral: (10%)
- Present for, participate in, and encourage/invite students to engage in: Sunday and Holy Day Masses; Holy Hour; Penance Services; Retreat Experiences as needed; various catechetical, social and other programs as assigned.
- Develops relationships with Catholic students by being visible on campus and connecting individually (1:1) with students as appropriate.
- Communications: (60%)
- Coordinates all DCC’s regular electronic communication (website, app, email, social media)
- Explores and disseminates audio/visual catechetical material appropriate to the needs of DCC students via various media in conjunction with appropriate staff members
- Administration: (30%)
- Actively participates in regular DCC Staff, Advisory Board, Religious Life, and other Ministry meetings
- Represents the Duke Catholic Center to Duke University, the Diocese of Raleigh, the local Church and the general public
- Work with the Business Manager on budget preparation and resource allocation as it relates to Communications and budgets of those supervised (listed below).
- Coordinates all Data Management of the ministry side of the DCC
- Oversees electronic file storage of the DCC
- Track and record all Key Performance Indicators as appropriate
- Acts in the place of the Director in his/her absence.
- Works with and fosters the work of the Duke Catholic Center Advisory Board for the long-term vision and benefit of the Center.
- Oversees the work and carries out the annual evaluation of the following staff members:
- Peer Ministry Coordinator
- Director of Small Groups
- Director of Faith Formation
- Director of Retreats and Pilgrimages
- Director of Social Justice & Outreach
- Summer Intern(s) and Work Study student(s) assigned to you
- Professional Development
- Participate in at least one continuing education program each year
- Commit appropriate time to continue developing spiritually as a Minister of the Gospel
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Communications
- Advanced degree or certification in theology preferred
- Practicing Roman Catholic
- At least 5+ years’ experience working in a Catholic campus ministry
- The Associate Director has flexible hours as a 40+ hour per week position
- Given Sunday is a full work day, Friday is a day off.
- Diocesan Vacation policies apply