Central Catholic High Schools requests applications for a qualified, passionate, and nurturing teacher of religious studies who will also work part-time in campus ministry for the 2021-2022 school year. This individual would teach 2-3 sections of Religion and then support the efforts of Campus Ministry. The ideal candidate works well with his or her colleagues, captures the imagination of students, advances the Catholic identity of the school, builds relationships with students and parents, and remains open to student questions and circumstances.
Religion teachers operate within the Roman Catholic guidelines for religious instruction while applying abstract theological ideas to concrete experience. The primary goals for the religion department are to foster and deepen the relationship of each student with Jesus Christ and to increase students’ knowledge and appreciation of the Catholic faith. In light of Central’s college preparatory curriculum, teachers develop group discussions/projects, critical thinking assignments, debate, research, presentations, and reading and writing in order to equip students for academic success in college and as engaged persons in today’s world.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Only applications marked as "COMPLETE" in the system will be considered. We anticipate the first round of interviews to take place the week of May 17th. Should you have any questions please contact the main office of the school at ~~~.
* A Bachelors or Master's Degree in Theology from an accredited Catholic University
* A valid Texas Teachers Certificate, or 12 credit hours in education courses (must complete within 2 years of hiring if without)
* Technology Proficiency (word processing, spreadsheets, databases, multimedia presentations, and internet use for educational purposes)
* Practicing Catholic in good standing
* Master’s Degree (preferred)
* Three or more years teaching high school Religion/Theology (preferred)
* Demonstrated competency in religion/theology and a vibrant passion for forming the faith of students
* Demonstrated proficiency in technology integration/application in theology
* Strong organizational, communication, technology and interpersonal skills
* Candidate must have a satisfactory outcome of Criminal Background Check
Responsibilities & Duties
* Create a classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the academic and emotional development of students
* Conduct ongoing assessment of student achievement through formal and informal testing
* Manage student behavior in accordance with the student handbook
* Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents and students
* Compile, maintain and file all reports, records, and other required documents
* Attend Departmental and other campus meetings as directed
* Attends professional development training
* Support the educational efforts of the Religion Department in the use of digital resources and innovative teaching and learning practices that include rigorous and relevant learning experiences that are specifically designed for male learning.
* Oversee the Button LIFE club
* Assist with administration of Christian Service Program
* Oversee planning of liturgies
* Perform other duties as assigned
Mental/ Physical Demands:
* Able to lift or carry supplies, textbooks, furniture, and or equipment
* Able to maintain composure and avoid inappropriate displays of anger
* Required to sit, stand, bend, stoop, reach, grab, pull, hear & see and speak on a daily basis
* Required to perform repetitive physical tasks such as computer keyboarding, writing & reading
* Required to monitor students in a variety of locations including those with noise, activity and inclement weather.
* Salary: $44,605-$52,225 (depending upon qualifications)
* Benefits: Full benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, and Retirement
FLSA: Exempt Equal Opportunity Employer
About Central Catholic High School:
Central Catholic High School is a college preparatory school educating in the Marianist tradition young men from diverse backgrounds for success in higher education through the development of scholarship, leadership, and moral character. Over 165 years old, Central Catholic is currently located in a historic building downtown in the River North district.
Learn more at www.cchs-satx.org
Learning and the Characteristics of a Marianist Education
Each course, each activity, and each decision at Central Catholic High School is made with the five Characteristics of Marianist Education in mind. Educate for formation in faith Provide an integral, quality education Educate in the family spirit Educate for service, justice, and peace Educate for adaptation and change