As managing consulting of the direct response at American Philanthropic, you will be responsible for facilitating the successful management and execution of the group’s consulting engagements. This role entails managing other group members; leading client engagements; interacting regularly with company leadership and other departments; engaging in regular business development outreach and activity; helping to manage the group’s budgets, capacity, and operational metrics; and monitoring overall quality.
This position works closely with American Philanthropic’s leadership and staff, contractors, and vendors to ensure that the firm continues to meet a high standard of excellence in serving its clients and fulfilling its obligations. Primary activities and responsibilities include the following.
Group Management and Operations
- Managing staffing and engagement roles on group clients to promote clarity and maximize group utilization, professional growth, and client satisfaction; approving time sheets, expenses, and vacations; and nurturing group culture;
- Managing group budget, making spending decisions within budgeted guidelines, and ensuring high quality execution for clients while monitoring and balancing efficiency;
- Managing all group members, including addressing personnel issues, making key personnel decisions, approving time sheets, expenses, and vacations, and nurturing group culture;
- Monitoring contract terms and timelines for engagements managed by group and assisting with renewal and upgrade strategies as needed;
- Helping to troubleshoot and support the engagements being led by other consultants within the group, mentoring staff and assisting as needed to help staff become trusted advisors to clients and build durable relationships across multiple levels within a client organization; and,
- Assisting with review, update, and maintenance of internal systems and reports and serving as primary contact for other internal departments on group-related questions.
- Guiding strategy and execution on multiple high-value client engagements with excellence, expertise, and efficiency that reflect continued cultivation of technical, tactical, and strategic understanding of all direct response channels including direct mail and digital techniques, strategies, and tactics;
- Managing the work and capacity of other staff in the context of shared client engagements, ensuring each person has clarity of purpose and role and that services are of high quality and aligned with client priorities and scope of contract;
- Leading client engagements and owning client cultivation efforts with the goal of building strong relationships of trust with clients across multiple levels of the client’s organization;
- Learning and perfecting working knowledge and experience with best practices related to direct mail, digital outreach, social media, design techniques, data analysis, project management software and processes, and Salesforce database systems among others; and
- Providing other routine assistance related to the company’s direct response services as needed.
Consulting and Client Deliverables
- Communicating regularly with clients and providing valuable guidance—both in person and via e-mail, Zoom/conference calls, etc.—on a wide range of management, development, institutional-advancement programs, and communication projects and issues;
- Proofing and reviewing project deliverables for quality and accuracy such as appeal letters and package components, emails, landing pages, and other campaign contents with an exceptional eye for detail and ensure all components align with client brand message and support their goals and objectives; and
- Responding in a prompt and professional manner to client and colleague communications and needs;
- Leading and overseeing integrated direct response audits and strategic planning projects;
- Advising on client messaging and assisting with the creation of direct mail and digital strategies services;
- Managing and/or advising on client acquisition and housefile donor-cultivation and solicitation programs;
- Interacting professionally by phone, video conference, in-person, and email with external partners including art directors, designers, content creators, copywriters, data processing, list brokers, and printers;
- Ensuring successful coordination of competing priorities and deadlines; and
- Addressing and resolving client issues in a positive and professional manner.
Business Development and Other
- Helping to build the respect and recognition of American Philanthropic by publishing articles, leading trainings, and representing the firm at client meetings, conferences, seminars, and other events;
- Actively engaging in the business development process at American Philanthropic by helping to build strong relationships with current clients, manage contract renewals, and identify and bring in new clients;
- Assisting with developing and executing business development efforts within the group by identifying and assigning new leads and driving accountability in this area for other group members; participating in prosect calls and meetings with other group members as needed; and assisting with pricing and staffing projections during proposal process;
- Building relationships of trust with key members of the philanthropic community; and
- Assisting with the performance of other executive, managerial, and administrative tasks, as needed.
This position will report to the Senior Managing Consultant, Direct Response, and may require 4-6 days travel per month for client meetings, events, and trainings. Occasionally, availability to work outside of normal business hours in order to meet client deadlines is necessary.
6+ years of professional experience, including direct response experience, is required; experience with digital fundraising techniques and strategies is a plus. Liberal arts background preferred. The ideal candidate will also demonstrate:
- Outstanding organizational, time management, and planning expertise; with a strong ability to manage multiple priorities;
- Initiative to drive projects with well-honed organizational skills, attention to detail, a high degree of personal initiative and conscientiousness, keen intelligence, superb interpersonal skills, and an ability to shift quickly between tasks required;
- Practical hands-on experience leading and overseeing direct response programs, including direct mail and digital initiatives, strategy development, and tactical execution;
- Strong communication and collegiality, as well as a capacity to build personal relationships of trust and respect both with clients and colleagues;
- An exceptional ability to multi-task, effectively managing many competing deadlines and client priorities with a high degree of prudence and conscientiousness;
- Excellent writing, analytical, and organizational skills, as demonstrated by consistently thorough and thoughtful execution of client work;
- Capacity to take personal ownership of projects, accomplish tasks, and manage up to other colleagues;
- An aptitude for getting and keeping business, including effective cultivation and maintenance of current clients and, over time, seeking out and winning new potential clients;
- A strong work ethic, humble manner, and demonstrated willingness to go above and beyond when necessary; and
- A desire and ability to effectively contribute to company culture and value practical wisdom, excellence, integrity, hard work, and conviviality.
Submit all requested materials through the American Philanthropic portal on website.