The Director of Faith Formation is responsible for implementing the vision of St. Barbara Parish by providing Christian formation and sacramental preparation programs to the parish community, including adults, children (grades 1-5) and youth (grades 6-12). This includes creation of curricula, formats, schedules, materials, recruitment, oversight and program evaluation.
- Develop goals, objectives and implementation strategies for a comprehensive faith formation program that are consistent with Archdiocese of Los Angeles guidelines and the Franciscan tradition. In conjunction with the pastor and faith formation team, develop and implement a curriculum and full catechetical plan, including schedules, format, guidelines, teaching and participant materials.
- Form, support and oversee a dynamic and engaged volunteer faith formation team.
- Recruit, train and supervise catechists, youth leaders and other volunteers for faith formation programs, including sacramental preparation for Eucharist, Reconciliation and Confirmation. Evaluate performance of catechists and report to the Pastor.
- Collaborate with parents of children in faith formation programs to elicit their understanding, commitment, participation and engagement. Provide opportunities for parental catechesis as appropriate.
- Develop and support the family ministry team and serve as parish staff liaison for scheduling and activities.
- Serve as the catechist for Confirmation program.
- Develop, implement and oversee adult faith formation program in collaboration with pastor and RCIA team.
- Plan, coordinate and implement programs such as retreats, prayer groups, workshops, Scripture study, and guest speaker presentations for Adult Faith Formation participants and parishioners.
- Oversee all administrative aspects of faith formation, including registration, calendar creation, class schedules, attendance lists, budget, catechist coordination, program evaluation, and sacramental records.
- Monitor program budget and resource use/needs. Provide reports and updates on key elements of the program to the pastor on a regular basis.
- Attend and participate in weekly parish staff meetings, parish/Mission events, and the annual planning process.
- Perform an annual evaluation of faith formation programs and submit a report to the pastor with any recommended changes.
- Attend Diocesan meetings/trainings in support of programs and keep current with Archdiocesan policies as they relate to faith formation and sacramental practices.
- Maintain professional growth through continuing education and training; reading; participation in Archdiocesan, regional and national conferences; and peer contacts.
- Ensure compliance with all parish and Diocesan safe environment standards and practices, including the Archdiocese of Los Angeles Safeguard the Children program.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Practicing Catholic and Certified Catechist; Master Catechist certification preferred.
- BA/BS or equivalent experience or training.
- Leadership and team building abilities.
- Strong spiritual leadership skills from a servant-leader perspective.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to provide analysis of faith formation programs and provide recommendations for continually improving pastoral outreach.
- Excellent organizational, collaborative, and problem-solving skills.
- Computer literacy – MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Ability to work well under pressure, manage multiple priorities, take initiative and be creative.
- Availability and willingness to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Modeling a life of discipleship in Christ, rooted in the Gospel and drawing on the Franciscan tradition.
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships and maintain confidences with adults, youth and families.
- A highly flexible and adaptable team player who enjoys working with a variety of individuals and personalities.
- An appreciation of - and commitment to the Franciscan Friars and the values they hold: Prayer, Fraternity, Joy and Service.