DEPARTMENT: Programming Traffic
LOCATION: Irondale, AL
The Closed Captioning Technician is responsible for accurately processing the transcript text of a television program into synchronized captions, to be embedded into the program, to allow a viewer to read the dialogue and descriptive sounds. Utilizes special closed captioning equipment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Upon receipt of a proofed transcript and a post-production program video, the Closed Captioning Technician uses captioning system software to format the text and accurately place captions to match the timing of speech, music and sound effects.
- Ensure proper screen placement, to avoid covering on-screen graphics.
- Processes the captions to embed the text on to the disk of the program that will air on television, and routes it to the tape library.
- As needed, exports to various formats for airing on DVD and video streaming.
- Maintains organized records of the programs in text and other formats.
- Reviews broadcast dates to ensure programs are captioned on schedule, allowing other departments time to complete their work before airtime and DVD distribution.
- Notifies supervisor of any concerns with tape / graphics / episodes / transcript.
- Receive live show captions, edit as needed; export to various formats.
- As needed, proof transcript.
WHAT SKILLS/TALENTS WILL THE IDEAL CANDIDATE POSSESS?
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience in a comparable work environment.
- Ability to operate basic video and captioning equipment.
- Strong computer software skills; including, but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite.
- Highly organized work habits with sharp visual and auditory focus, great attention to detail and follow through.
- Expertise in proper grammar, sentence structure, vocabulary and spelling.
- Demonstrated understanding of Catholic Faith terminology.
- Ability to work, learn and interact in a team environment toward completion of tasks.
- Punctual, dependable, cooperative, with flexibility to adapt to last-minute adjustments.
- Previous experience in closed captioning for broadcast/cable TV preferred.
- Associate’s degree in Communications, Broadcasting or equivalent experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Broadcasting, English or equivalent experience.
WHAT DOES EWTN OFFER?
• Career with Purpose
• Family-oriented working environment
• Competitive salary
• Benefits Package (Health, Dental, Vision, Life and Retirement)
• 11 Paid Holidays and Paid Time Off
• On-line continuing education and degree programs through Catholic Distance University.
Please submit cover letter including salary requirements and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
To learn more about EWTN and our mission, please visit our website at www.ewtn.com.