Youth Ministry Leader for St. Mary Magdalen Catholic Church
If you have a calling to share the Catholic faith with youth and young adults – and you love to work with a team – you might be the perfect candidate for Youth Ministry Leader at Saint Mary Magdalen Church, a growing and diverse parish sharing Christ’s saving love with 3,000 families in the Orlando area.
We are looking for an experienced and innovative leader to create and lead the kind of ministry youth want to be a part of, the kind of parish community that listens to and mentors young Catholics, and the kind of core team that is dedicated to finding new and better ways to serve our parishioners from their tween years to young adulthood. Under the guidance of the Faith Formation Director, our Youth Ministry Leader works with our pastor, priests, and staff to develop programs that are faithful to the parish mission, prepares candidates for the Sacraments, draws young people into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and accompanies them to live as witnesses of the Gospel in our world today.
Every day is focused on this primary goal: Leading young Catholics to Christ.
- Mentor youth & young adult ministry teams with their own identity reflecting our parish mission and in the spirit of Renewing the Vision: A Framework for Catholic Youth Ministers (USCCB) including:
- Middle School Youth Ministry
- High School Youth Ministry
- Young Adult Ministry (College aged, 20s, and 30s)
- Develop and coordinate dynamic Confirmation Sacrament preparation for teens in collaboration with the Pastor and Faith Formation Director
- Recruit, train, and mentor youth and young adult leaders as well as core team volunteers
- Collaborate with the Faith Formation Director and Minister for Adult Faith in merging youth ministry catechetical models with religious education for RCIA catechumen formation for youth and teens
- Create, guide, and / or lead retreats for middle school, teens, Confirmation, and young adults
- Organize trips to local, diocesan, national, and international youth & young adult events (Diocesan Youth Day, Steubenville, NCYC, World Youth Day, March for Life, Lifeteen Conferences, etc).
- Work with Pastoral Care and Outreach leader to provide opportunities for social justice/service education
- Assist Liturgical Ministry Team in the preparation of liturgical celebrations for youth (Confirmation, Reconciliation, liturgies for retreats, XLT, and special youth events)
- Represent Youth Ministry and contribute to parish staff meetings, parish council meetings, and Deanery meetings
- Communicate with the pastor, parish staff, parish community, and parents about youth and young adult ministry activities, goals, and concerns in a way which invites participation and creative problem solving
- Build and maintain a relationship with the Diocesan Secretariat for Laity, Family, and Life, Director of Youth Ministry, and Office of Vocations.
- Maintain a current list and contact information for parish youth, young adults, adult leadership, and volunteers who have regular contact with young people for the Parish Staff and Diocesan Safe Environment Office; ensure that all adult leaders/advisors comply with diocesan safety regulations (i.e., finger printing/criminal background check)
- Submit annual financial report and budget; administer budget throughout the year
The position is a full time, non-exempt, year-round role with benefits. Requirements:
- Practicing Roman Catholic, able to participate in the Sacraments of the Church
- Conversational fluency in Spanish preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; proficiency in composing reports, correspondence and letters and in publishing e-newsletters and flyers; working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel. Experience with database management a plus.
- Relates well with youth, has knowledge of current youth culture, trends, and issues, as well as the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent organization and leadership skills
- Available weekends and evenings
- Bachelor's Degree in Theology or Youth Ministry from an accredited college or university and a minimum of five years of applicable experience
- Employment is contingent upon the applicant passing a full background check with the Diocese of Orlando
Application & Resume by email to Jobs@SMM.Church