The Magdalen College is a residential Catholic liberal arts college located in Warner, New Hampshire. Founded in 1973, the College seeks—through the rigorous study and discussion of primary texts and through its vibrantly Catholic student life—to call our students to the life-long pursuit of intellectual and moral virtue, following Christ who is the source of all virtue.
The Magdalen College is currently seeking a Chef/Manager. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of success, be a man/woman of strong character & integrity, be willing to wear a lot of hats, and enjoy an environment similar to a start-up. He/she will work closely with the College leadership to ensure that students’ health needs are met at meals and meals are prepared and presented in a professional manner.
Though the candidate need not be Catholic, he/she must support the academic and spiritual mission of the College. This support will be essential to the success of the candidate.
- Directs daily operations of food production, including menu planning, purchasing, ordering, inventory, and food preparation
- Prepare savory and healthy meals presented in a professional manner
- Oversee, give direction, and manage student workers and student managers
- Work closely with CFO/COO on special events related to advancement, admissions, and other special events at the College
- Ensure the College food service is in line with all Federal and State regulatory requirements
- Establish and continue relationships with vendors
- Maintain inventory and place orders in a timely fashion
- Oversee stock control and security of stock storage areas
- Manages the budget by controlling costs (e.g., labor, inventory, equipment, materials), complying with budget requirements and adjusting when necessary
- Ensures that kitchen, equipment, storage facilities and dining room are sanitary, neat and organized
- Reviews information and manages records on vendors, inventory, food costs, cash management, productivity, and personnel
- Establishes operating standards, implements quality improvements, and communicates them to employees
- A.O.S. Degree in Culinary Arts or culinary certificate and three to five years of culinary experience preferred
- Minimum of two to five years of culinary/kitchen management experience, depending upon formal degree or training
- Catering experience helpful
- Knowledge of food and catering trends with a focus on quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentation
- Must be able to work as the business demands
- Batch cooking or high-volume cooking experience preferred
- Experience with food production for large catering or banquet functions
- ServSafe Certified