Parish Staff Accountant
Department: Parish Office, Finance group
Position Title: Parish Accountant
Reports to: Finance Manager
Our client is a large Catholic Parish in the Chicago area. The parish accountant provides day to day accounting services which supports both the parish and school. These duties are performed in a professional and confidential manner. The individual should always set a good example of Catholic behavior in working with others.
Major Position Responsibilities and Regular Activities
- Posts entries to the Parish Soft Accounting web-based general ledger system for deposits, credit card payments, payroll, and all fee revenue.
- Posts adjusting journal entries and voided checks, when necessary.
- Reconciles all parish and endowment fund local bank cash accounts.
- Reviews all parish and school organization's monthly local bank account statements and includes appropriate follow up with treasurer of each organization when necessary.
- Liaison, as the lead, with FACTS for enrollment and tuition management for the school.
- Performs related accounts receivable services to support billing and collection of parish school tuition and fees.
- Prepares tuition year-end tax information for tuition paid when requested by school families.
- Liaison, as the lead for the parish, with VANCO Payment Services, the parish on-line giving servicer, for all parishioner donations.
- Coordinates the updating of parishioner donation records for all on-line giving donations received via the upload of VANCO online donations with the parishioner donor database.
- Collaborates with the School Advancement Office during annual fundraising events to ensure receipts and expenses are properly recorded.
- Prepares the quarterly financial reports related to the three school endowment funds.
- Responsible for closing the general ledger for each month-end reporting period and for the fiscal year-end reporting period.
- Prepares various monthly analysis reports related to both the parish and school.
- Prepares year-end 1099 statements for all non-employee vendors.
- Prepares necessary IRS tax forms and W-2G statements for auction winners.
- Processes checks and invoices on as needed basis.
- Performs other analysis and duties as assigned by the finance manager.
Professional and Personal Representation
Skills, Knowledge and/or Abilities
- Must have excellent knowledge of accounting principles and internal controls.
- Must have effective communication skills and the ability to work and partner with others such as the pastor, parish and school leadership and staff, parishioners, school families and outside vendors and service providers.
- Must be results oriented with the ability to meet due dates with accuracy.
- Must be a self-starter.
- Must have the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must set a good example of Catholic behavior in dealing with others.
- Must support the mission,philosophy, objectives and policies of the Catholic Church and the Diocese of Joliet.
Education, Training and/or Experience
- Bachelors degree, Accounting major required (CPA is a plus).
- At least 8 years of progressive accounting experience, non-profit experience a plus
- Strong experience with accounting application software required. Experience with Parish Soft Financial software (general ledger, accounts receivable and accounts payable) and on-line giving software is a plus.
- Strong knowledge of and working experience with Microsoft Office (Excel and Word) and personal computers.
This is an exempt position and requires a working presence in the office of 40 hours a week Monday through Friday. An investment of additional time may be required after office hours for meetings and special events as an integral component of the position. Competitive pay and benefits package.
If this sounds like a great opportunity for you and you meet these qualifications, please send me a copy of your resume to email@example.com or click the APPLY NOW button below.