Sacred Heart Catholic Church
5501 Monticello Rd, Shawnee, KS 66226
Job Title: Liturgy Coordinator
Reports To: Pastor
The Liturgical Coordinator is responsible for the development and maintenance of liturgical ministries within the parish, ensuring that each Mass and special liturgical service’s run smoothly. This role is an integral team member of the parish. This position will be approximately 25 hours a week.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- In coordination with the Minister of Music, plans liturgies, to include development and preparation for various Rites of Worship for weekend liturgies, parish reconciliation, school Masses, special events, Feast Days and Holy Day liturgies, funerals, and weddings as needed;
- Maintains schedule of priests and deacons, as well as coordinates visiting priests and other assignments such as special liturgies and regularly scheduled Masses;
- Coordinates, schedules, and oversees all those volunteers and special activities/requirements pertaining to sacramental celebrations, weddings and funerals;
- Initially, must be present before weekend Mass, all-school Masses and special liturgies in order to ensure that preparations are complete and liturgical roles are adequately filled Trains and manages Sacristans to serve the liturgy. The Coordinator serves as backup as needed;
- Ensures initial and ongoing recruitment and training for liturgical ministers;
- Oversees a staff member in charge of the liturgical minister-scheduling database and ensures timely preparation and distribution of monthly schedules, including holy days of obligation, Altar Servers, Eucharistic Ministers, Lectors, Gift Bearers, Greeters and Ushers;
- Manages liturgical ministry leads for all liturgical ministries;
- Oversee the Arts & Environment committee to assist in the direction of the aesthetic décor and overall look of the worship space;
- Attend staff meetings, Parish Leadership meetings and other committee meetings as deemed necessary;
- Maintains inventory of worship supplies, i.e. candles, hosts, wine, altar linens, etc. and other Priestly needs;
- This position requires flexibility and varied hours throughout the week depending on the liturgical calendar.
Skills, Knowledge, and/or Abilities:
- Must be a practicing Catholic in good standing;
- Knowledge of sacred music beneficial but not required;
- Possess a good knowledge of the liturgical norms of the Roman Catholic Church, functions and services of the Church’s liturgies and understanding of the full liturgical cycle. Training and/or experience in faith development and celebration of faith\liturgy in community a plus;
- Possess a degree or certification in Theology or Liturgy or equivalent experience and education (preferred, not required) or willingness to achieve such certification during employment;
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, rapport and communications with others; and be able to prepare and distribute documents, training materials and communication materials that are thorough and understandable;
- Ability to work in team environment;
- Ability to work variable hours with periodic evenings and weekends;
- Proficiency with computers and current office software;
- Must maintain VIRTUS compliance;
Other Duties: As needed or directed by Pastor.
This description is not intended, and should not be construed, to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the principal job elements essential for making compensation decisions.