Full-time Director of Government Affairs, March for Life Education & Defense Fund
The March for Life Education and Defense Fund is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that coordinates the world’s largest annual pro-life event and civil protest. Through the annual March in Washington, DC, marches in state capitals across the country, and through being the collective voice of Pro-Life marchers on Capitol Hill, in the Media, and on social Media every day of the year, the organization is uniquely positioned to build a culture of life. The organization is currently seeking to hire a Director of Government Affairs. Based in Washington DC a few blocks from the White House, this full-time position will report to the President of the March for Life Education and Defense Fund.
As Director of Government Affairs, you will bring the collective voice of pro-life America represented by those who participate in the March for Life to Capitol Hill throughout the year. You will manage the daily operations of March for Life Action, our 501(c)(4) partner, overseeing administration, fundraising, finances, and Board communication. You will collaborate on how best to mobilize the pro-life grassroots to take action in the fight for the protection of the unborn, by offering Capitol Hill 101 events, by working closely with the State March Director and communications staff, and by using the March for Life advocacy system to contact elected representatives at the state and federal levels. The Director of Government affairs will also work closely with the March for Life’s public relations firm and will serve as strategic advisor to its President.
- Highly organized with impeccable follow-up.
- Strong interpersonal management and event management skills.
- Excellent diplomacy and writing skills with the ability to hold ground in difficult conversations.
- Ability to effectively operate in dynamic external and organizational environments.
- Legislative experience required- understanding of state and federal pro-life legislation.
- Campaign experience is preferred.
- Ability to manage budgets and oversee income and expenses.
- Legal experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5-7+ years of experience.
- Passion for building a culture of life within a small, collaborative pro-life organization.
- Advance the mission of the March for Life in Government Affairs by being the collective voice of the marchers on Capitol Hill and in the state legislatures.
- Serve as March for Life’s government relations professional and representative.
- Possess and cultivate trusting and enduring relationships with elected officials and their staff, political appointees, senior civil servants, and key individuals in relevant private sector organizations.
- Offer pro-life briefings to members and their communications staff as needed.
- Lead the development and execution of March for Life’s advocacy priorities for the protection of the unborn.
- Provide direction and input to Social Media Manager and other communications staff on issues relating to legislation including alerts, correspondence, and endorsements.
- Lead weekly legislatively focused calls with public relations firm.
- Serve as strategic advisor to the President of the March for Life.
- Guide the growth of state march program by serving as an active team member in strategic decisions and building partnerships.
- Plan and execute Capitol Hill 101 events for the National March for Life and State Marches.
- Manage and advance the mission of March for Life Action.
- Assisting the President with communicating with the Board of Directors by providing timely, accurate quarterly reports, and responding to the Board’s questions.
- Assist the President with the formulation of strategic plans for the organization.
- Assist President and Director of Development with fundraising email campaigns and other revenues necessary to support mission of March for Life Action.
- Act as primary point of contact with March for Life Action development consultants to facilitate fundraising events.
- Assist with creation of proposed annual budget, monthly financial statements, and income reports.
- Manage finances throughout the year in order to remain within the approved operating budget and ensure maximum resource utilization for maintaining a positive financial position.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff as needed.
Please send cover letter, resume, names and contact information for references by November 22, 2021 to AndreaClark@marchforlife.org or Andrea Clark, March for Life, 1012 14th Street NW, Suite 300 Washington, D.C. 20005