Seton Education Partners seeks a faith-filled, mission-driven individual to act as the Director for El Camino, a unique afterschool faith and enrichment program in New York City. Co-founded in 2009 by KIPP Foundation co-founder Scott W. Hamilton and Teach for America alumna Stephanie Saroki de García, Seton is a response to the dramatic decline of urban Catholic schools in America, which have served the economically disadvantaged so well for decades. Seton is committed to ensuring that children develop the knowledge, character, and faith necessary to earn a college degree, pursue lives of value and integrity, and become saints. For more information on Seton Education Partners, please visit www.SetonPartners.org.
El Camino Mission:
El Camino, a Catholic faith formation program, helps children, their families, and their teachers to know, love, and serve Christ and His Church; develop the habits, dispositions, and beliefs that are indispensable to human flourishing and happiness, and to live and disciples in this world and saints in the next.
About El Camino:
In August 2013, Seton Education Partners launched El Camino in a largely Latino neighborhood in the South Bronx, where over half of all families fall below the poverty line. El Camino, which means “The Way” in Spanish, seeks to serve disadvantaged children who do not have the means to attend a Catholic school, helping them to grow in virtue, achieve academic success, and have fun. El Camino pairs in-school academic support with a fun after-school program that offers faith lessons, character development, sports and games, and homework help. El Camino has an innovative partnership with Brilla Public Charter Schools , a start-up “no excuses” charter school, and with Seton Teaching Fellows, who work at Brilla during the school day and support the El Camino after school program. Next year, El Camino will serve over 400 children in kindergarten through sixth grade across three campuses. The program will grow a grade level each year through the 8th grade, and we hope to launch several new sites over the next five years. For more information, check out our video: https://vimeo.com/230075720
Please e-mail a resume and cover letter to yeime@SetonPartners.org with “Director of El Camino” in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed. Seton Education Partners provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
About the Position:
The Director will work directly with, and report to, the Chief of Programs. The primary focus for this position is to ensure smooth operation for all children, families, and teachers involved with El Camino. Together the leadership team will impact the academic and faith development of underserved children, young Catholic educators, and the Church in America.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Director must be highly organized and able to effectively manage several ongoing projects. The list below covers the main functions for the position, but is not exhaustive. There are essentially three components to the Director role: Administrative, Communications/Community Relations, and Curriculum and Instruction.
1) Maintain the El Camino Scholarship Program with a detailed application process and
2) Manage monthly invoicing and payments.
3) Generate tax forms and receipts.
4) Maintain a timekeeping system for employees, verify and submit payroll via email.
5) Meet with the school leaders and operations staff consistently
6) Maintain and update student files (physical and electronic files)
7) Ensure compliance with the Department of Health
8) Collaborate with Seton colleagues, administrators, and Brilla staff
9) Manage El Camino program budget
1) Maintain an active presence on social media, ie. Facebook, Instragram, etc.
2) Organize and facilitate monthly community events to engage families and students in
their faith formation.
3) Partner with local high schools, colleges, and religious organizations to create a
volunteer program and hire additional staff as needed; manage volunteers to ensure the impact
is positive and effective for the individuals and the organization.
4) Create monthly family newsletter.
5) Develop Family Involvement Committees
Curriculum and Coaching Component
1) Establish bi-weekly meetings with catechists and other staff
2) Create and maintain unit plans
3) Give detailed lesson plan feedback
4) Observe (formal) teachers bi-weekly
5) Observe (informal) daily
6) Develop summative, cumulative, and formative assessments, formal and informal.
7) Establish effective behavior management systems and procedures
Ad hoc duties
1) Assist with faith formation of Seton Teaching Fellows.
2) Variety of special projects as assigned by the Chief of Programs.
3) Arrange family faith formation
Qualifications and Desired Characteristics
Candidates for the position must possess the following personal characteristics:
•You have unquestioned integrity and commitment to Seton’ mission and values
•You take personal responsibility
•You have a strong belief that all children can achieve both moral and academic excellence
•You are a faith-filled and practicing Catholic, one who understands Catholic teachings and is
passionate about sharing the Catholic faith
•You have a relentless drive for excellence and growth
The ideal candidate will bring experience and skills in the following areas:
•Results-orientation and the ability to get things done well
•Ability to adapt in a fluid, start-up environment; optimism, perseverance, and a focus on
problem-solving highly valued
*Excellent communication with children and experience with love and logic, restorative practices
and/or virtue based behavior systems
•Ability to self-direct and prioritize among competing goals and exhibit flexibility in a fast-paced,
•Excellent written and verbal communication skills with keen attention to detail
•Bachelor’s degree required
•Bilingual in Spanish and able to read, write and speak in a professional environment
•Experience optimizing social media for the growth of the community
•Familiarity with Google platforms and Excel
Salary & Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, depending on experience and