Position Title: Director of Finance
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Reports to: Executive Director
Date Created: April 2022
God has called us to build up the Body of Christ in southern Nebraska through the spiritual and corporal works of mercy. We are called to grow in holiness, walk in trust, serve with integrity, and faithfully proclaim the Gospel.
Position Summary: The Director of Finance is responsible for overseeing the overall financial strategy and reporting to achieve agency financial sustainability. Flexible work arrangements for work/life balance and ability to work from home part-time are negotiable.
- Represent, communicate, and integrate authentic Catholic Social Teaching in the presentation and management of CSS’ finances.
- Drive the financial strategic planning of CSS and controlled organizations by evaluating performance and potential risks. Implement solid internal controls, establish annual budget and monitor performance to budget. Work with Board of director’s finance committee and executive team.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual detailed financial performance reports. Identify patterns in company spending/revenue sources and recommend solutions to any problem areas. Conduct analysis to make forecasts.
- Supervise accounting personnel. Conduct review of direct reports and provide annual compensation recommendations to the Executive Director.
- Manage and oversee cash flow, disbursement of funds, financial IT systems. Includes accounts payable, accounts receivable, journal entries, executing reports, and coordinating reconciliation of accounts.
- Oversee accounting of fundraising campaigns, grants and donations. Includes ensuring compliance with governmental grant and IRS donor acknowledgment regulations. Includes monitoring and reporting on donor gift restrictions.
- Draft financial portion of grant applications. Prepare grant and foundation financial reporting. Manage grant reimbursements.
- Assist with the financial portion of agency business plans for new ventures.
- Manage financial processes and tracking of payroll and employee benefit plan administration.
- Oversee preparation and filing of all financial and corporate government reporting including tax returns (W-2, 1099s, 1098s, 941, 990, 990-T, 1065), Secretary of State business reporting, and charitable gaming.
- Schedule and coordinate annual audit with external accounting firm.
- Manage insurance related needs of CSS including property, vehicle, umbrella liability, volunteer, and workers compensation insurance. File employee injury claims with insurance and communicate work restrictions.
- Section 42 cross training
- All other duties as assigned.
- Communication; written and verbal
- Problem Solving
- Process Implementation
- Organizational Support
- Safety and Security
Must be knowledgeable about the Catholic Church and support its moral and religious teachings.
Bachelor’s degree and/or 2 years of previous experience working in a non-profit or similar human resource/accounting role required.
CPA or CMA is preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to handle or feel, reach with hands or arms, climb or balance, talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily indoor working conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.