Magdalen College of the Liberal Arts is a residential Catholic liberal arts college that seeks to transform students in their entire persons. Located on a mountain in Warner, New Hampshire and offering inspiring learning, spiritual development, and a deep sense of community fellowship, Magdalen has been described as “the Rivendell of Newman Guide Colleges.” Though the candidate need not be Catholic, he/she must support the academic and spiritual mission of the College. This support will be essential to the success of the candidate.
Magdalen College is currently seeking a Chef/Food Service Manager. The ideal candidate will have several years of experience in food service, an understanding of health and nutrition, and excellent organization skills. In addition, the ideal candidate will have strong communication and people skills, be a flexible team player, and enjoy working with young people..
- Directs daily operations of food production, including menu planning, purchasing, ordering, inventory, food preparation, liturgical observances, and kitchen/dining room appearance and clean-up
- Prepare beautiful and healthy meals. This means overseeing breakfast (but not necessarily cooking it), preparing lunch and dinner M-F, overseeing weekend food, and afternoon snack
- Oversee, give direction, and manage student workers and student managers
- Work closely with Admissions, Student Life, and other Faculty for special events relating to the college
- Ensure the College food service is in line with all Federal and State regulatory requirements
- Establish and continue relationships with vendors
- Maintain inventory and place orders in a timely fashion
- Oversee stock control and security of stock storage areas
- Manages the budget by controlling costs (e.g., labor, inventory, equipment, materials), complying with budget requirements and adjusting when necessary
- Ensures that kitchen, equipment, storage facilities and dining room are sanitary, neat and organized, working with Maintenance for special concerns
- Minimum of two to five years of culinary/kitchen management experience, depending upon formal degree or training
- Catering experience helpful
- Knowledge of food and catering trends with a focus on quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentation
- Must be able to physically work as the business demands
- Batch cooking or high-volume cooking experience preferred
- Experience with food production for large catering or banquet functions
- ServSafe Certified
Application materials should be addressed to the Director of Admissions, Mrs. Michele McKenna, and submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4 PM on Friday, September 2. Please include “Director of Food Services” in the subject line.