Position Title: Strategic Business Director
Location: St. Mary Catholic Church, Eugene, OR
Reports to: Parish Pastor
Supervises: Parish Staff, volunteers, maintenance workers, contractors, or other vendors.
Position: Full-Time Exempt
Salary: $80,000 annually
St. Mary’s Parish, established in 1887, is a Eucharistic parish united in Christ, proclaiming God's love through evangelization, service to others, liturgy, prayer, and education. The core values include tradition, education, stewardship, and outreach. Its mission, vision and core values focus on creating an inclusive community that spreads the word of God.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The purpose of this position is to lead the organization with regards to daily operations and the collaborative development and implementation of the short-term and long-term vision and plan. The Strategic Business Director will oversee the effective and efficient operation and maintenance of all parish activities including senior supervisory direction with staff and provide strategic direction of development and communication, finances, facilities and grounds.
This position operates as the general manager of the organization, reporting to the Pastor directly, but with the authority to carry out all managerial requirements as well as help guide the organization at the highest level. A significant part of this position is the supervision, management, and/or general communication with staffing and outside contractors as well as members of the Parish Community, the Archdiocese, the Parish Administrative Council, and the Parish Finance Council.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP - 50%
- Collaborate with Pastor and staff to generate long-term vision for the organization.
- Incorporate long-term vision into annual organizational objectives.
- Engage with team to define individual goals and KPI’s (key performance indicators) for each staff member.
- Provide resources, direction, and on-going guidance for each team member to ensure completion and success of their individual objectives.
- Ensure staff management includes professional education, transparent communication, motivation, support, and consistent evaluation at appropriate periodic intervals.
- Work with Pastor and appropriate staff to ensure that all HR requirements, including personnel policies and communication, are completed and monitored on a timely basis.
- Supervise hiring and selection of personnel, collaborate with bookkeeping to administer parish salary and benefit programs and manage employee relations issues under the guidance of the Pastor.
DEVELOPMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS - 15%
- Create and provide oversight of the annual fundraising plan that encompasses all aspects of the parish’s needs.
- Establish and provide oversight for the marketing, public relations, and communication plan that dovetails fund-development and church outreach priorities.
- Research and develop a capital campaign plan that includes grant writing, fundraising, and stewardship.
FACILITIES AND GROUNDS - 15%
- Develop long-term and short-term plan for the maintenance of key assets and the addition of new operating as well as capital equipment, with support of the bookkeeper to ensure these are properly budgeted.
- Direct and implement the annual work-plan for plant operations and maintenance.
- Oversee the implementation of schedules for all maintenance and custodial requirements, by performing required maintenance when needed and feasible, and/or by contracting with employees or outside personnel to ensure tasks are completed timely and correctly.
- Support the Pastor in the preparation of information on major capital projects, including building renovation or remodel and/or facilities and grounds improvement.
- Serve as liaison between the parish and the contractor(s) and vendors in overseeing the completion of approved work.
FINANCIAL DIRECTION AND PLANNING - 15%
- Engage with Pastor, bookkeeper, and parish councils to ensure that financial statements are properly reconciled, prepared, shared with required users and reviewed for both accuracy as well as achievement of goals, forecasts, and KPI’s.
- Provide direction and work in partnership with the bookkeeper in the coordination of parish liability, property insurance, and workers’ compensation in collaboration with Archdiocesan insurance programs.
- Coordinate and prepare parish response to liabilities and legal concerns in collaboration with Archdiocesan offices as appropriate.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT - 5%
- Work directly with pastoral staff to ensure that objectives set in coordination with the Pastor, are achieved, timely and that the staff are provided with all guidance, direction, and support necessary.
- Lead communication planning for internal and external discussions with key organizational stakeholders.
SPECIFIC JOB SKILLS:
- Ability to set long-term vision for an organization and to further translate that into annual and individual staffing goals and objectives.
- Excellent organizational skills, verbal, and written communication skills,
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Highly skilled in problem-solving and interpersonal relationships.
- The ability to create and manage an engaged team toward successful goals.
- Discretion and the ability to honor and maintain confidentiality is important.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Active member of a Roman Catholic faith community
- Four-year college degree in business or operations management is preferred.
- Seven years’ experience in leading an organization or significant department that includes setting goals, management and supervision of people, and communications with internal as well as external stakeholders.
- Knowledge of general facilities, custodial, building, and grounds maintenance would be greatly beneficial.
- Ability to speak Spanish is preferred
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to handle some limited physical exertion.
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described above are representative of the physical capabilities that must be met by an employee and the working conditions that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Nonprofit Professionals Now is supporting St. Mary Catholic Church in filling this key leadership role. Please review the full job description and submit your application for consideration. All applications are reviewed.
Application Deadline: September 16, 2022.
Application Site: https://npprofessionals.hiringthing.com/job/478744/strategic-business-director-st-mary-catholic-church