Director of Facilities & Operations
Norwood-Fontbonne Academy (NFA) is seeking a dynamic, energetic, and ambitious Director of Operations to serve as an integral member of its dedicated leadership team. NFA is a pre-k through grade 8, Catholic, independent, co-ed, elementary school sponsored by the Sisters of Saint Joseph and located in Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, PA.
Reporting to the President, the Director of Operations is an integral member of Norwood-Fontbonne Academy’s Senior Leadership team overseeing an experienced team (both in-house and outsourced) responsible for all aspects of properly maintaining, running and improving the buildings and grounds of the School on both a short term and long term basis. The Director of Operations collaborates closely with the Director of Business Operations, the President and the Campus Planning Committee of the Advisory Board to manage, maintain and improve NFA’s 14 acre, 7 building school campus. The Director of Operations serves as the Project Manager overseeing all major construction and capital improvement projects, and is responsible for working with other Senior Leadership on transportation and security-related matters, executing event logistics, contributing to the overall strategic vision of the campus, and for implementing the campus master plans. This role requires the ability to collaborate across all school divisions and departments to build trusting relationships and effective partnerships. We value the perspectives and experiences of people from diverse backgrounds and consider a diverse employee community essential to offering our students an outstanding educational experience.
● Manage the regular maintenance and upkeep of all school facilities (both buildings and grounds) and Congregation owned properties.
● Supervise all buildings, grounds, housekeeping, (collectively “Operations”) personnel and contractors.
● Responsible for Security and Transportation to ensure safety of all on campus
● Negotiate and oversee all operations contracts and manage contracted labor, including those related to capital improvement projects.
● Oversee all budgets related to physical plant including those for facilities/grounds maintenance, utilities, and capital improvements.
● Lead compliance efforts regarding local, state and federal regulations.
● Work closely with the Senior Leadership Team and other team members to manage logistics for campus events and rentals.
● Create and implement a comprehensive, preventative maintenance plan.
● Create and maintain facilities and grounds-related policies and procedures, and ensure appropriate compliance of both with NFA staff and contractors.
● Minimum of five to ten years progressively responsible experience managing facilities in a school or similar campus environment
● Able to work a flexible, full time schedule, including some nights and weekends
● Demonstrable record of successfully working with internal and external service providers to achieve timely, efficient, high-quality maintenance, repair, renovation, and construction work
● Strong administrative/leadership experience, ideally in managing contractors and buildings and grounds personnel
● Working knowledge of facilities systems, such as mechanical, electrical, HVAC; and knowledge of standard practices, materials, tools, and terminology of facilities trades, such as carpentry, masonry, grounds/landscaping, and housekeeping
● Technology proficiency to include use of e-mail, word processing, spreadsheets, and computerized facilities management systems; Microsoft Office Suite (Word and Excel) preferred
● Strong quantitative and analytical skills, including work developing, managing, and projecting capital and operating budgets
● Ability and willingness to meet physical demands of the position
Salary commensurate with experience; benefits include generous paid time off, school holidays, generous professional development, retirement and health insurance contributions.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and the contact information for three professional references to Dr. Ryan Killeen, President, at firstname.lastname@example.org using “Director of Facilities & Operations” in the subject line.