Under the direction of the Pastor, the Director/Coordinator of Faith Formation implements, coordinates, and evaluates all parish catechetical ministry. The incumbent is an active participant in parish activities and will successfully assume new responsibilities for the parish and provide direct support in strengthening the parish's overall faith formation ministries. As a representative of the Roman Catholic Church, the Director/Coordinator of Faith Formation will conduct him/herself according to the goals and mission of the Church in performing his/her duties. St. Columba Parish seeks a staff member who acts with a willing spirit and as a team player, with a passion for growth in the gospel. The successful applicant will assist St. Columba Parish in carrying out our core purpose to offer people the abundance they long for through life with the Lord.
The Director/Coordinator of Faith Formation receives general direction from the Pastor and exercises supervision over volunteer catechists. This position coordinates activities with other parish staff members, school administration and faculty, and parish volunteers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Typical duties may include, but are not necessarily limited to the following:
• Responsible for the assessment of needs, setting goals and priorities, periodic evaluations, and launching and overseeing all parish religious education programs, including OCIA/RCIA, adult faith formation, youth faith formation, sacramental preparation, and whole-community catechetical events and activities.
• Responsible for the cultivation and nurturing of small group faith formation, providing direction, supervision, and content selection.
• Responsible for directing and supervising parish faith formation programs including curriculum development and the selection of texts and materials.
• Responsible for the recruitment, selection, and training of catechists, small group faith sharing leaders, and other volunteer staff working in faith formation programs.
• Represents St. Columba Parish on matters pertaining to faith formation.
• Performs related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned by the Pastor.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Membership and active participation in the Roman Catholic Church required.
• Knowledge of National Catechetical Directory (NCD), recent church catechetical documents, theology, and scripture.
• Knowledge of catechetical and developmental theory for all ages.
• Knowledge of group dynamics and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse individuals and groups.
• Proficient in principles of organization, administration, and budget and personnel management.
• Proficient in various forms of basic office technology and computer application skills.
Education and Experience: Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities will qualify.
A typical way to obtain required knowledge and abilities would be:
• Bachelor of Arts in sociology, psychology, religious education, or related field.
• Possesses an initial catechist certification.
• Complete Ministry Formation Program within 4 years of hire.
• Three or more years' experience in coordination of religious education programs.
• Three or more years' teaching experience in religious education.
Specific Working Conditions to Parish:
• Job functions result in a varied work schedule which includes working Sundays and one to two evenings each week during the school year.
• Working environment includes an office setting with extensive contact with parishioners during activities on parish grounds.
Good communication skills, and good organizational skills should accompany a desire to enter into active communion and association with others. Employee should demonstrate leadership ability, especially in outreach to parishioners, inquirers, and the marginal or inactive Catholics.