Saint Mary's University is looking for a Director of Learning Design who is eager to contribute to its Lasallian Catholic mission of awakening, nurturing, and empowering learners to ethical lives of service and leadership. We invite individuals to help transform lives through education, inspired by the Catholic Intellectual Tradition’s quest to understand the human experience through faith and reason and its embrace of all who are dedicated to learning from one another through authentic conversations in search of the truth.
The Director of Learning Design coordinates and provides resources, facilitation, and consultation for the creation of new and redeveloped program curriculum structure and course syllabus development. Provides direction and works collaboratively with new program development teams, faculty, and program directors, also supervises the Instructional Design Technologist. Contributes to team projects led by the Director of Curriculum and Assessment, which include the Educational Technology team and Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (CELT).
● Coordinate and assist with the facilitation of new program development, design, and curriculum writing and mapping
● Coordinate and assist with planning, developing, and delivering workshops related to course design and implementation
● Work collaboratively with individual faculty members and program directors on course design
● Facilitate teams of program administration, faculty, content experts and other stakeholders in writing curriculum at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels, both with traditional and adult learners
● Coordinate with Instructional Design Technologist on the development and building out of traditional, remote, blended, and online courses in the learning management system
● Assist with developing program and course design resource materials and examples.
● Effectively oversee the Learning Design team workload and delegate manageable assignments to Learning Design Team members. Lead members to continuously improve program and course development processes and materials
● Train and onboard new team members
● Other related projects as assigned by the Director of Curriculum and Assessment
Essential Skills and Functions:
● Proven competence in leading and facilitating project teams that involve multiple stakeholders from various departments
● Strategic leadership that contributes to the long-term vision and planning of the Learning Design Team
● Fluency in following accessibility standards in course modules and materials
● Comfortable in a deadline-driven work environment, proactively mentoring, and coaching team members to complete projects
● Strong organization skills, effectively managing personal workload and team workflow with competing priorities, combined with versatility and flexibility to make changes as needs dictate
● Excellent interpersonal skills
● Clear, effective, and timely communication in written and verbal formats.
● Proficiency with multiple learning delivery modalities.
● Excellent attention to detail
Experience and Education:
● Master’s degree required, preferably in the areas of Education or Instructional Technology. Higher education teaching experience is preferred, especially with adult learners. Proficiency with Google Suite for Higher Education, or other instructional technology for online learning, including expertise in Canvas. Knowledge of curriculum development processes and learning design/assessment techniques is required.
● 3+ years of experience in leading a team in the areas of Education or Instructional Technology is preferred.
Apply online at https://hive.smumn.edu/about/offices/human-resources/employment-opportunities and please include a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references.
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota believes inclusion and human dignity contributes to a robust academic and work environment and is critical to achieving the University's mission in an increasingly diverse society. Individuals with expertise and diverse skills from underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. The successful candidate must support, respect, and advance the mission of Saint Mary's University as a Lasallian Catholic institution.
Saint Mary’s offers a comprehensive benefit package including health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, flexible spending, retirement pension plan, and both undergraduate and graduate tuition remission plans.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background check.