Saint Mary's University of Minnesota is looking for a Director of Libraries who is eager to contribute to its Lasallian Catholic mission of awakening, nurturing, and empowering learners to ethical lives of service and leadership. We invite individuals to help transform lives through education, inspired by the Catholic Intellectual Tradition’s quest to understand the human experience through faith and reason and its embrace of all who are dedicated to learning from one another through authentic conversations in search of the truth.
This position serves as a visionary leader for an innovative 21st century library prepared to serve the ever changing needs of higher education. Although based in Minneapolis, the Director of Libraries oversees libraries on both the Winona and Minneapolis campuses. Through collaborative management, they provide innovative leadership in managing all library operations to align with Saint Mary's University of Minnesota Strategic Plan. The Director of the Libraries will serve the whole University community by helping to ensure that Saint Mary's University of Minnesota meets its academic goals and supports students, faculty, and staff in their academic endeavors through this critical resource.
· Works with library staff to establish a clear vision and philosophy for the library.
· Develop and implement strategic priorities, plans and goals for library resource programs, services, and facilities to serve students, faculty, and staff.
· Plays a significant role in developing, implementing, and interpreting departmental policies and procedures.
· Responsible for managing the library budget in order to meet the academic goals and student learning objectives.
· Oversight of library personnel, mindful of employee recruitment, retention, and development.
· Develops policies, services, initiatives, and collections that serve the mission of Saint Mary's University of Minnesota.
· Provides oversight over internal communication to promote the library and its services.
· Works with the Advancement office and the Director of Sponsored Programs for fundraising, development, and grant writing.
· Provides leadership in managing library operations by having a regular presence on both campuses.
· Merge two distinctive library systems and cultures together to create one library that serves the needs of multiple groups of students, faculty, and staff, while also responding with alacrity to the changes in higher education and academic libraries.
· Serves as the liaison to regional and state library consortiums to share library materials.
· Serves as ex officio member of appropriate Faculty governance committees.
· Provides oversight for archives (Presidential and University) to bring both up to and maintain archival standards.
Essential Skills and Functions:
· Demonstrated ability to provide vision and leadership toward the achievement of a comprehensive university library system, exemplifying the institution’s mission and goals.
· Management experience in leading a staff, including direct reports in remote locations.
· Project management skills, and knowledge in how to build consensus in leading change processes.
· Experience in securing external grant or philanthropic funding.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with internal and external constituencies.
· Effective fiscal management.
· Experience in working with diverse student populations, comprising a wide range of needs.
· A strong commitment to the support of teaching and scholarship.
· Experience with a multi-campus environment.
Education and Experience:
· A Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited program.
· Five years of experience in higher education library administration with at least two years in senior or management roles.
· Additional Master’s or Doctoral degree.
Apply online at https://hive.smumn.edu/about/offices/human-resources/employment-opportunities and please include a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references.
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota believes inclusion and human dignity contributes to a robust academic and work environment and is critical to achieving the University's mission in an increasingly diverse society. Individuals with expertise and diverse skills from underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. The successful candidate must support, respect, and advance the mission of Saint Mary's University as a Lasallian Catholic institution.
Saint Mary’s offers a comprehensive benefit package including health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, flexible spending, retirement pension plan, and both undergraduate and graduate tuition remission plans.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background check.