Founded in 2001 as a parish initiative to help young people “live the adventure” of their Catholic faith through Catholic Youth Summer Camp, now Damascus Catholic Mission has embarked upon a multi-year plan for and sustainability of our permanent campus, which will be developed into a fully-featured adventure camp, a leadership and training institute, and a retreat and conference center that will be a blessing to the Church for years to come.
Damascus Catholic Mission is seeking the right Major Gifts Officer to join our team at an exciting point in our evolution. This role is primarily focused on sales – that is, getting out and talking to prospects about our IMPACT, our vision to revive the Catholic Church in America, and our hallmark program, Catholic Youth Summer Camp.
This is the farthest thing from a desk job! In fact, we want someone who feels like their seat’s always on fire – they HAVE to be out of the office as much as possible!
In terms of who will succeed in this position, the ideal candidate:
- Has a deep passion for reviving the Catholic Church – and is an active, practicing, Catholic in good standing with the Roman Catholic Church. This person feels a personal calling to have an even greater impact in this phase of their career.
- Really, truly enjoys "sales" – must have sales experience, ideally in a team-selling environment. Traditional fundraising experience is not necessary – instead, we are focused on candidates who are dynamic storytellers, who are bold in asking for investments, and who keep following up until the results are in.
- Has a high level of persistence – he or she just keeps going at the goal (in a thoughtful way), despite roadblocks and rejections, and can keep others moving toward the goal as well. This person has encountered plenty of rejection, and is constantly thinking about what new strategies to try out in their next approach, or how to gently plow through resistance.
- Loves to follow a proven process – rather than being too focused on all the detail, he or she concentrates on outlining the strategy and most critical details needed to work each prospect or opportunity, from initial preparation and phone call to the final follow-through. This person is methodical without letting process slow them down.
- Has a contagious level of joy and optimism – this is a person who can realistically assess a situation, and then chooses the path of believing it can work out for the better. He or she lights up a room with joy and positivity, leaving people feeling better off for the interaction.
- Enjoys navigating change – someone who thrives in a changing environment, and knows how to adapt quickly and bring others along. This person has been in high-growth organizations and enjoys helping them reach new levels of complexity and vision.
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for a sales portfolio, and for delivering on an annual fundraising goal that will increase over time.
Owner of a sales portfolio:
- Identify and prioritize high-level prospects
- Own relationship management and strategy for all prospects in portfolio:
- Prospect research and strategy
- Prospect predisposition planning
- Prospect visit strategy and planning, including engaging other members of the team as needed
- Visiting with prospects and making asks
- Managing prospect follow-up activities, coordinating with the team as needed
- Meet or exceed annual fundraising goal.
Contributing member of the team:
- Participate in team selling for funding opportunities, as needed
- Participate in – and seek out – opportunities to learn about the youth, families, parishes, schools, and communities impacted by
- Build relationships with organizational leadership, missionaries, and other key members of the expanded Damascus team who are passionate about building God’s Kingdom on earth.
Location & Travel: Damascus Catholic Mission is located in the center of Ohio; candidates would ideally be based within driving distance to be on-site once each week. Will require travel approximately 30-40% of the time.
CONTACT AND FURTHER INFORMATION
If this profile calls out to you, please send a tailored, authentic cover letter that explains 1) why this mission excites you; and 2) why this particular role is a fit for you – along with your resume – to our partners at For Impact: email@example.com.
For Impact | The Suddes Group brings a fresh approach to talent searches. We combine our decades of experience in talent, leadership, and organizational development with our 30+ years helping 5,000+ organizations raise over $2 Billion. We believe that success lies in the ability to commit to a fundraising model that focuses on sharing the impact that will help drive income to sustain and grow the organization.