Date: August 19, 2023
Position Available: Budget and Data Manager
Reports To: Controller
Department: Administrative Accounting
FLSA Status: Exempt
Hours: Primarily 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
Please apply online: Apply Here
The Budget and Data Manager conducts the planning, development, implementation, and ongoing monitoring of the operating budget. The position evaluates budgetary proposals, analyzes performance, and formulates a basis for the development of alternative scenarios of both income and expense. The position manages budgeting, expense monitoring, and financial analysis for the University. The Budget and Data Manager will also serve as a steward for integrating financial and non-financial metrics into the University’s overall data management strategy.
· Coordinate the planning and implementation of the annual operating budgets, including compensation, tuition income forecasting and analyses, and budgetary allocations; prepare executive summaries and detailed control schedules for the various phases of the budget process.
· Facilitate the design of systems, instructions, policies, procedures, and ongoing guidance for the preparation and implementation of budget plans, requests, and adjustments by individual budget managers; work with key stakeholders to establish revenue budgets and oversee the development and compilation of expense budgets.
· Prepare and develop advanced, strategically focused financial planning, including but not limited to: budget and endowment analysis; multi-year financial projections; and as-needed modeling and forecasting in support of the University’s strategic planning process and budget and data development processes; perform initial analysis and formulate recommendations.
· Develop and maintain University budget and data systems, resources, and reports to monitor expenses; facilitate and integrate budget data into institutional reports and dashboards; Develop customized and standard reports for University leadership and departments as needed; Conduct regular variance reviews for all University departments and divisions; Perform monthly forecast of University year-end financial position including building detailed projections for operational areas. Meet with stakeholders monthly to review actual results v budget, and provide analysis.
· Conduct training in the budget processes, related financial policies, and budget transaction processing, and serve as primary resource for related inquiries; Write, maintain, and disseminate budget policies, procedures, and documents; Proactively and collaboratively work with the campus community to assist in the successful attainment of financial goals while finding solutions to budgetary challenges, while monitoring and approving certain purchasing transactions to ensure budget adherence.
· Responsible for select accounting-related items as needed, as well as assisting with annual audit.
This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list. Additional duties, expectations and responsibilities may be added or changed as needed to meet the University's needs.
Must understand, support and embrace the mission of Franciscan University of Steubenville and possess the following:
· Fund accounting experience, with related accounting expertise specifically related to the job duties as listed above.
· High level of demonstrated competence with Microsoft Excel, financial statement analysis and accounting systems.
· Expertise in data mining and analysis.
Non-Technical Skills and Competencies
· Process analysis and creation – continually question current practices for necessity and efficiency.
· Consensus building and execution – work amongst a team to find workable solutions.
· Sense of urgency – commitment to meeting deadlines and driving transformation.
· Adept at communicating with financial and non-financial team members in order to build strong and effective relationships across all functional areas of the University.
Education and Experience
· 5-7 years of higher education or non-profit accounting experience in a finance or budget management detail accounting position.
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, finance or related field. Compensating work experience would be considered.
· Experience making mistakes, fixing them, and then establishing processes to prevent them from happening again.
· Standard office environment.
Candidates must submit an online application, a resume and a cover letter that demonstrates their fit for the position based on their experience, accomplishments and skills as well as their desire to advance the mission of Franciscan University.
Please apply online: Apply Here
For other information and job postings, visit our website at https://www.franciscan.edu
Franciscan University of Steubenville is committed to principles of equal opportunity and is an equal opportunity employer.