The mission of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington is to spread the light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world. In the faithful pursuit of this mission, the Archdiocese is seeking an Assistant Secretary for Pastoral Ministry and Social Concerns.
The Assistant Secretary assists the Secretary of Pastoral Ministry and Social Concerns (PMSC) in the implementation of all archdiocesan initiatives focused on discipleship. The Assistant Secretary will supervise the discipleship work team in PMSC, which includes the Offices of Campus Ministry and Young Adults, Family Life, and CYO Inc.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Supervise and mentor the Program Director of the Office of Young Adult and Campus Ministry, Director of Office of Family Life, and President of CYO Inc. 50%
o Coordinate twice-monthly Discipleship Team (direct reports) collaborative planning meetings.
o Conduct weekly one on one supervisory meetings (direct reports) and check in as necessary
o Review and approve ADW graphic design project sheets for outward facing communications
o Review and edit all chancery memos from offices regarding new or ongoing projects
o Approve CHRIS payroll and leave requests
· Serve as a member of the Parish Consultation Support Team with Assistant Secretary for Life Dignity and Justice, Director of Evangelization, and Secretary to support pastors in the call for evangelization and parish planning. 20%
o Develop a vision and plan with the Secretary and other Assistant Secretary on how to support parishes in their mission of evangelization, including assisting with the work of the Office of Evangelization
o Assist in parish consultation (formation of parish pastoral councils, liaison program with new pastors, etc.) as assigned
· Assist the Secretary with the archdiocesan ongoing synodal parish planning initiative, Papal initiatives and archdiocesan pastoral letters and Initiatives and other duties as assigned. 15%
· Assist the Secretary with fiscal management of PMSC 20 %
o Work collaboratively with PMSC Secretary and other Assistant Secretary regarding fiscal questions, preparation of secretariat budgets, address finance management issues, and concerns.
o Serve as an advocate for PMSC financial issues with Finance on an as needed basis.
o Download and review PMSC department and office monthly reports, share with PMSC directors, mentor staff in fiscal management, as needed.
o Assist direct reports with the creation and management of the budgets for the Offices of Young Adult and Campus Ministry and Family Life.
o Approve Workplace requests.
· Serve as liaison to Catholic Youth Organization of the Greater Metropolitan Area (CYO Inc.) which oversees Youth Ministry, Catholic Scouting, and CYO Sports. 5%
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
· Practicing Roman Catholic in good standing with thorough knowledge and understanding of the faith that informs everyday life and work in the office
· Experience in managing multiple priorities
· Strong writing skills and communication skills
· Candidate must be highly motivated and a real self-starter, who has the ability and motivation (passion) to work as part of a team
Experience and Education
· Master’s degree in pastoral studies, theology, religious education, social work or related field
· Experience in Pastoral Ministry, Religious Education, related field or comparable work experience in a parish (minimum 3 years)
· Experience providing supervision and office management (minimum 3 years)
· Experience with Microsoft Office tools, Facebook and other social networking and internet technologies
· Experience working well with a variety of professional colleagues, including senior leadership, clergy, lay ministers, employees at differing levels, and parishioners.
· Bilingual Spanish skills, a plus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
· Regular full-time employee (40 hours/week)
· Some evening and weekend hours to be expected
· This position may require occasional travel to meetings and facilities within the Archdiocese of Washington.
· Reliable transportation required