The Assistant Director for Youth and Young Adult Ministry works with the Diocese of Nashville Office of Faith Formation team to facilitate and support the development of youth and young adult ministries in the schools and parishes throughout the Diocese of Nashville. In addition to overseeing diocesan-based retreats and events, the Assistant Director for Youth and Young Adult Ministry provides formational and collaborative opportunities for youth ministers to support them with their relational ministry to our youth and those who serve them. Through guidance, education, and accompaniment, the Assistant Director for Youth and Young Adult Ministry exemplifies and furthers the mission of the Diocese of Nashville: Living and Proclaiming the Good News of Jesus Christ, Welcoming All.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY INCLUDE
- Advancing the mission of the Office of Faith Formation by creating and implementing innovative catechetical and evangelical opportunities for youth and young adults.
- Accompanying and mentoring youth ministers throughout the Diocese of Nashville as well as designing programs and resources for their continued ministerial development.
- Implementing diocesan-level retreats and initiatives, which includes creating programmatic content, organizing event logistics, ensuring Safe Environment compliance, and coordinating adult and student volunteer leaders Such as:
- SEARCH (11th/12th grade retreat modeled after Cursillo)
- NCYC (National Catholic Youth Conference for 9th-12th graders across the country)
- Youth Leadership Workshop (Summer Leadership Workshop for 11th/12th graders)
- World Youth Day
- Serving as a liaison and resource for the pastors, associate pastors, youth ministers, and campus ministers by providing support as requested.
- Developing and deepening relationships with primary entities throughout the Diocese of Nashville. The Assistant Director will be expected to spend a considerable amount of time visiting the three Catholic high schools within the Diocese of Nashville as well as the youth ministry programs on the parish level including but not limited to attending daily masses, luncheons, extracurricular activities (athletics, arts, etc.), and youth nights to develop those relationships.
- Collaborating with diocesan offices, such as the Office of Stewardship and Development and the Office of Media and Evangelization, to create marketing and development strategies within the scope of Youth and Young Adult Ministry.
- Monitoring social media and corresponding to all questions/comments through Instagram, Google Voice, GroupMe, and email.
- Constructing and reviewing event surveys for all Youth and Young Adult Ministry initiatives.
- Preparing yearly budget plans and managing monthly budget required for the Youth and Young Adult Ministry division of the Office of Faith Formation.
- Supervising and mentoring the Coordinator for Youth and Young Adult Ministry.
- Performing other duties assigned by the Director or Associate Director of the Office of Faith Formation.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in theology or related field preferred.
- Diocesan or parish-based experience working in youth ministry.
- Practicing Roman Catholic in good standing.
- Active parish and diocesan involvement.
- Considerable knowledge of Church teaching and practice.
- Well-established evangelical fervor and catechetical strength.
- Fluency in Spanish preferred, but not required.
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Computer skills, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and web-based software.
- Ability to travel frequently to off-site events and to work on evenings and weekends.