The Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing support to the Tribunal staff and judges in order to ensure consistent, accurate, and timely distribution and execution of necessary documents that are required for the Tribunal to deliver needed services effectively. The Ecclesiastical Notary is appointed to office by the Bishop and prepares and authenticates all judicial acts of the Tribunal (cc. 483 - 484). This is a part-time position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Maintains familiarity with Tribunal procedures and all aspects of the Tribunal's ministry.
- Reviews, assesses, and instructs marriage cases.
- Ensures that procedural formalities are observed in all cases.
- Processes sanctions and dispensations after approval.
- Notarizes judicial acts of the Tribunal, e.g., decrees, decisions, sentences.
- Communicates clearly and appropriately with petitioners, respondents, and witnesses.
- Cooperates in the maintenance of timely and correct data entry, file management, and correspondence.
- Assists with the efficient operation of the Court of Second Instance.
- Participates in regular Tribunal meetings and discussions.
- Attends canonical meetings for the purpose of continuing education.
- Performs other duties that are deemed necessary and appropriate by the Director.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High School or equivalent.
- Some theological/canonical knowledge/experience preferred.
- Must be a practicing Catholic.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong writing, organizing, and critical thinking skills.
- Ability and willingness to engage in collaborative ministry.
- Pastoral concern and sensitivity toward those who are served by the Tribunal.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
- Computer and internet competence. Knowledge of Windows platform. The following software skills are needed: MS Office and FileMaker Pro.
- Preferred bilingual competency in Spanish, written and spoken.