The ministry of hospitality.
2 full time positions at $20,875 each annually plus housing in brand new 2 bedroom apartment.
The Shrine of Saint Therese in Juneau, Alaska, seeks a practicing Catholic married couple, who embrace the call to Missionary Discipleship, to take responsibility for the upkeep and maintenance of the facilities and grounds of the National Shrine. The successful candidates will be highly active individuals possessing the skills and experience to meet the Shrines diverse housekeeping, maintenance needs. The energetic, self-motivated Catholic couple will live-on-site, at the 46-acre campus in Southeast Alaska.
The Shrine St. Therese has welcomed pilgrims from around the world for 85 years. The Caretaker is first and foremost a minister of hospitality. The successful candidate will, like St. Therese, find God in the details of visitor interaction, housekeeping and maintenance of the Shrine grounds
Duties and Responsibilities of the two full time positions include but are not limited to:
• Stewardship of the two most important aspects of a Catholic shrine - creating an environment for prayer and hospitality (Pope Francis)
• Housekeeping and Domestic Services
• Maintenance and Repair
• Clerical and Office Work
• Gardening and Grounds keeping
• Willingness to be flexible and adaptable.
• Excellent time management
• Sense of balance between work/leisure/prayer
• Creative problem solving
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Open and close columbarium niche
• Purchase items for routine operations
• Effluent water testing
Daily Chores include but are not limited to:
• Meet and greet visitors.
• Open & close Chapel (vacuum, fill votives, dust, sweep steps)
• Make rounds of grounds 2x daily - more often in summer
• Prepare paperwork for guests.
• Process reservation online and maintain master schedule
• Plow snow (winter)
• Prepare chapel for Mass, weddings, funerals.
• Clean cabins and/or set up for guests.
• Answer/return calls
• Cut grass, weed-eat.
• Test water
• Clean public restrooms
• Blow off sidewalks and keep trails clear.
• Pick up trash
• Open/Close Gift Shop - restock items.
• Purchase items for routine operations
Skills Required but not limited to: (between the two positions)
Housekeeping - customer service, time management, cleanliness, patience, cleaning, mop, sweep, dusting, carpet cleaning, laundry washing, folding, ironing, good communication / both verbal and written, attention to detail, vacuuming, window cleaning, dusting, turning mattresses.
Maintenance - Basic knowledge of HVAC. Ability to do plumbing and light electrical work. Experience using hand, electrical and battery-operated tools. Ability to read technical manuals and drawings. Very good communication and interpersonal skills. Proven experience as custodian, janitor or in a similar role. Knowledge of use and maintenance of industrial cleaning equipment and appliances. Knowledge of safe disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components. Familiarity with landscaping, handyman practices. Attention to detail and conscientiousness. Very good physical condition and strength.
Sacristan - solid understanding of how liturgies flow, the order of Mass and services, and knowledge of Church teachings. Ability to effectively communicate and work well with staff and volunteers. Good interpersonal skills. Good organizational skills. Punctual. Diplomatic. Able to collaborate with the parish priest and staff in carrying out tasks. Ability to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings on an as-needed basis. Ability to work independently without direct supervision. Able to adapt to challenges and changes in routine. Positive/friendly/enthusiastic. Ability to honor and maintain confidentiality. Ability to self-motivate, manage responsibilities and work independently.
Computer: proficient in word and excel and ability to learn other software such as: reservation management, web editing, facebook posting, time tacking software, gmail, office 365, google docs and data entry software.
Physical Activities and Requirements, Visual Acuity, and Working Conditions of the Position
Good overall health. Abilities:
• Walk/stand for long periods of time.
• Perform medium work - lift up to 50 pounds.
• Climb stairs/ladders, hills and traverse uneven ground.
• Hear - receive detailed information.
• Visual acuity
• Kneel and balance.
• Work outdoors year-round
Affiliation - Practicing Roman Catholics
Service Area - The National Shrine of St. Therese is comprised of Shrine Chapel (seating for 80), five rental cabins (capable of hosting 48 pilgrims), columbarium, gardens, trails and a small gift shop located on 46 wooded acres wooded on Southeast Alaska's Inside Passage. Shrine pilgrims are locals, tourists, retreatants and families. The facilities are also used for group meetings, quilters and company team building events.
Report - The two full time Caretakers report to the Shrine's Executive Director.