Date: January 31, 2024
Position Available: General Maintenance Technician
Position Reports to: Manager of Facilities Maintenance
Department: Physical Plant Services
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Schedule: Full-time, Monday – Friday
Please apply online: Apply Here
The General Maintenance Technician repairs, troubleshoots, provides preventive maintenance, and performs installation work related to commercial and residential building including carpentry, electrical, lighting, plumbing, mechanical, hardware, roofing and furniture. This role also provides services to our customers such as renovations, installing shelves, carpet, hanging pictures and numerous other customer convenience items, as authorized.
1. Provide preventive maintenance of all campus facilities including troubleshooting and repairs of all plumbing, electrical, carpentry, data, and mechanical needs.
2. Provide services to our customers including installing shelving, hanging pictures, and numerous other customer convenience services, as authorized.
3. Provide renovations and additions to campus facilities.
This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list. Additional duties, expectations and responsibilities may be added or changed as needed to meet the University's needs.
Must understand, support and embrace the mission of Franciscan University of Steubenville and possess the following:
· Ability to troubleshoot and apply diagnostic skills with the ability relevant to use voltmeters, ammeters, temperature and pressure gauges for finding the cause of equipment/hardware failures and performing relevant repairs.
· Ability to make soldering and plumbing repairs.
· Ability to accomplish a wide variety of tasks related to institutional construction and remodeling work including but not limited to interior partitions, ceilings, doors and hardware, outdoor walks, stairs, furniture, and other projects.
· Ability to read prints, sketches, and other documents to compile a list of materials.
· Written and Verbal Communication: Must be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing with customers and staff. Effectively uses both formal and informal means of communication and is capable of getting a point across quickly.
· Motivation/Drive: Self-motivated. Doesn’t wait to be asked or told to do something that needs to be done. Acts with minimal supervision. Capable of taking action without getting bogged down with analysis and explanation.
· Customer/Service Focus: Commitment to serving and supporting students, visitors, faculty, and staff by creating and maintaining a safe, functional and attractive campus.
· Teamwork: A team worker. Being part of a Physical Plant team that openly shares and receives help from each other. Must be able to supervise and train student helpers to assist with repairs.
· Quality of Work: Welcomes change as an opportunity to grow and learn. Able to work with a minimum of supervision. Maintains cleanliness and orderliness of work areas at all times.
· Development of Self: Sets and achieves ambitious goals in order to raise own skill level.
· Minimum of three years of experience and general working knowledge of electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and carpentry principles and their application to the preventive maintenance, repair, and installation of building electrical, lighting, plumbing, mechanical, hardware, roofing systems and furniture.
· The level of skill, working knowledge and ability relevant to independently and efficiently perform work assignments with a minimum amount of direct supervision and utilizing a variety of hand and power tools.
· Capable to drive University vehicles, maintain a valid driver’s license and be insurable with the University’s auto insurance policy.
· Relevant experience to supervise and train student helpers to assist with repairs.
· High school diploma or equivalent is required.
· Two-year training program in electrical, plumbing, mechanical, or carpentry is required. The program may have consisted of a vocational school, technical college, a company-certified training program or an on-the-job training program.
· Strength and dexterity to perform the duties and responsibilities of this job. Be in good physical condition in order to be able to perform heavy lifting and transport equipment and labor materials to various job sites. Be able to routinely lift a 50-pound object from the ground to shoulder height without assistance.
· Occasionally work in confined spaces and those that require bending, stooping, and kneeling.
· Must be able to walk, climb ladders and scaffolding, work from heights, and walk roofs.
· Must be able to stand for prolonged periods of time.
Candidates must submit an online application, a resume and a cover letter that demonstrates their fit for the position based on their experience, accomplishments and skills as well as their desire to advance the mission of Franciscan University.
Please apply online: Apply Here
For other information and job postings, visit our website at https://www.franciscan.edu
Franciscan University of Steubenville is committed to principles of equal opportunity and is an equal opportunity employer.