Christendom College Philanthropy Officer – Western Region
Every mission-driven organization needs inspired and determined advocates to step in and drive a period of growth that elevates the impact of the organization to a higher plane. Could that advocate be you? If you are an energetic and outgoing person who loves to meet and truly get to know others, come join our Advancement Team as the lead Philanthropy Officer for our Western Region. You will be a front-line ambassador, a specialist at building interpersonal relationships and empowering donors to make significant gifts of $10,000-250,000 in order to be fully engaged in Christendom College’s mission to restore all things in Christ. You will exercise creativity and drive in expanding our efforts in the Western region of the United States.
Who We Are
Christendom College stands as a rare bastion of authentically Catholic liberal arts education that is working, without federal funding, to mold and shape the next generation of Catholic leaders. We’re proud that our classical liberal arts curriculum led the Cardinal Newman Society to declare that “Christendom sets a standard for fidelity and traditional education against which other Catholic liberal arts colleges are measured.” Our vibrant community, faith-life, and challenging academics have ensured that we are repeatedly ranked as a top Catholic and conservative college. Our Advancement Team works hard to make this success possible and is a critical driver in the College’s growth. In the wake of a successful $45 million campaign, the Team continues to build our base of support across the United States.
What Your Day as a Philanthropy Officer Will Look Like
- Schedule and hold discovery meetings with potential major gift and planned giving prospects through Western United States with the goal of discovering their interests and passions relating to Christendom and assessing their philanthropic inclination and ability to make a gift to Christendom.
- Schedule and hold face to face meetings & phone meetings to nurture prospect relationships and reinforce their commitment to the mission.
- Prepare for and implement efficient travel plans to maximize time spent with supporters.
- Build a deep and sincere relationship that brings the donor to a “yes” by asking the donor at the right time for the right amount for the right purpose that fulfills their desired impact through major gifts of $10,000 or more.
- Show sincere gratitude and help donors understand the impact of their giving through personal and tailored updates, notes (including handwritten), news and event briefings and invites, congratulations and condolences.
- Track activity with timely and thorough contact reports delivered to the Data Entry Specialist and monitor progress on goals using the Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge NXT database.
- Communicate and collaborate with other members of the Advancement Team to stay fully engaged and integrated with the on-campus team, celebrate successes, strategize on donor cultivation, and work with the team to fully live out our core values and achieve financial goals.
What You Need to Be Part of the Team
- You exemplify the following core values:
- A commitment to putting Christ’s will first in all you do
- The giving of self to others
- Respect for the dignity of all you encounter, whether supporters, team members, or the waiter during dinner
- A strong commitment to personal excellence and accountability
- Personal integrity
- The importance of family life
- You enjoy meeting people and learning what is important to them
- You deeply understand and are proficient at communicating Christendom’s mission
- Excellent verbal/written communication and organizational skills
- Experience – Minimum of 3 years fundraising or sales experience in higher education or comparable industry.
- Education – BA degree; Newman Guide recommended colleges preferred
- Willing and able to travel and work from the road on a regular basis.
What the Position Offers
- A mission-driven, cohesive, collaborative, and faithful team that starts every meeting and activity with prayer and puts the interests of our donors first.
- A supportive back office that provides you with the data assistance, research, materials, and resources you need to succeed.
- Independence and a flexible work schedule, including telecommuting.
- Competitive compensation that rewards results.
- Strong benefits, including excellent HSA plan with employer contributions.
- The opportunity to create – the opportunity to build and expand the Western Region is limited only by your creativity and drive.
- The Western Region covers the Western half of the country, from Missouri to California, with the Philanthropy Officer focusing on key cities and a primary concentration on California and the West Coast. For efficiency and effectiveness, the Officer should live and work from a location within the Western Region. A visit to the College’s picturesque campus in the foothills of the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in the flourishing Catholic community of Front Royal, Virginia for team meetings and collaboration will be required at least every 4-6 weeks.
How to apply
- To submit your application, e-mail your cover letter, resume, and list of three references to Danielle Lemieux at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should explain why you belong at Christendom and what you can contribute to the Advancement Team. Candidates will be required to complete Christendom’s Human Resources application. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.