Live in harmony united in one heart and one will.
-St. Angela Merici
Since our founding in 1893, Ursuline Academy has been dedicated to educating young women in the spirit of St. Angela Merici. We are an independent, Catholic school community that empowers students for leadership and service in our global society.
JOB TITLE: Lower & Middle School Physical Education/Health Teacher & LS/MS Athletic Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: LS/MS Athletics
GENERAL DUTIES: A teacher in the Lower School works in a team atmosphere - planning and cooperating with all colleagues and administration toward a common goal: to effectively assist young women and gentlemen to reach their potential in the academic disciplines of the Academy, and in emotional and social competence.
The primary function of the Athletic Coordinator is to manage and oversee the Lower and Middle School interscholastic athletic program.
REPORTS TO: Lower School & Middle School Principals for teaching duties Athletic Director for athletics program
- Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated
- Develops and maintains a safe and inviting classroom environment conducive to effective learning
- Prepares for assigned classes, shows written evidence of planning, and shows evidence of many types of assessment for evaluating the students
- Encourages students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior; models desired behavior
- Employs a variety of instructional strategies
- Evaluates student progress continuously using both formative and summative assessments
- Assists in upholding and enforcing Academy rules
- Cooperates with other members of the staff in planning instructional goals and objectives
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to coordinate activities as assigned
- Uses email, phone, parent conferences, or RaiderNet to communicate concerns with parents about grades or behavior
- Uses various strategies to address numerous learning styles and needs of students
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities
- Maintains accurate and complete records
- Establishes and maintains cooperative relations with others
- Attends the following activities/events during the school year: faculty meetings, back-to-school night, faculty professional days, faculty work week, Monday morning prayer, moving up, open houses, parent conferences, peprallies, assemblies, liturgies, retreats, meetings, special events, and willingly performs assigned duties
- Strives to become exemplary in best practices in education which are set forth in the written observation/evaluation forms
- Oversee athletic registration process and coordinates the rosters and tryouts
- Format, manage, and update website for LS/MS sports
- Market and publicize season sign-ups and events for LS/MS sports
- Review and determine eligibility of each student athlete according to LS/MS, CYM, and DIAA standards
- Coordinate gym use and athletic field for practices and games with AD
- Coordinate coaches to help with the athletic program
- Assist in the selection of coaches for the athletic program
- Act as resource person and coordinator for all coaches
- Coordinate supervision at home athletic contests
- Mediate the resolution of problems, issues, and concerns that may arise during athletic programs
- Order post season awards for each program
- Administer the school athletic code in a fair and consistent manner that is within the intent of the code
- Manage uniforms, equipment, and LS/MS sports award night
- Manage budget and supervise equipment inventories
- Evaluate all athletic programs on an annual basis
- Complete an evaluation of the sports season
- Maintain confidentiality at all times regarding the Ursuline community
- Attend all required meetings and willing to perform all other duties as assigned
- Contribute by personal example to an atmosphere of faith commitment in a manner consistent with Catholic values and our founder, St. Angela Merici
- Respect, cooperate, and maintain a positive attitude with colleagues (faculty and staff), students, parents, and alumnae while exemplifying Ursuline’s core values
EDUCATION: BA or BS
EXPERIENCE: Completion of student teaching; 3-5 years of experience preferred Good interpersonal skills and knowledge of athletics
COMPETENCIES NEEDED: The understanding of integration of technology in the classroom is required. The skills required to perform multiple technical tasks with periodical upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. The ability to make presentations before groups is required and planning and managing projects. The employee will be required to prioritize, analyze situations to define issues, and draw conclusions and schedule accordingly.
Position requires a working knowledge of CYM rules and regulations; good organizational and communication skills; and ability to work cooperatively with others.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The position requires frequent walking, standing, bending, talking, and lifting of up to 25 pounds as a regular part of the job. Specific vision ability required including close, distance, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The noise level in the work environment is high. The employee may be exposed to possible extreme weather conditions, and infectious diseases. While performing the duties of this job the employee will occasionally be exposed to weather conditions of extreme cold and or extreme heat.
If you are interested in this position, please click the APPLY NOW button below.