Job Title: Religion Teacher and Coordinator of School Ministry
Location: Washington, DC
Organization Name: Washington School for Girls, a private Catholic school for girls grades 3-8
Department Description: The Religion Teacher and Coordinator of School Ministry serves an important role as both as a teacher and a spiritual leader and facilitator for our Catholic school community therefore, s/he must be practicing Catholic, who is a qualified and certified to teach religion, has a deep knowledge of doctrine and lives as an authentic witness to the faith. This position is tasked with ensuring a welcoming and dynamic culture reflective of both the school’s Catholic identity and commitment to serve students of all faiths. A teacher at The Washington School for Girls works as a member of a team of educators to carry out the mission of the Washington School for Girls by providing instruction of students through developing, selecting, and modifying instructional plans and materials and presenting them using instructional techniques which seek to meet the needs of each student. A WSG teacher supports an atmosphere which accelerates each student's academic, artistic, social and emotional achievement in alignment with the school's mission educational philosophies, policies, and procedures. As the Coordinator of Campus Ministry s/he leads nurtures the spiritual and religious life of the school, coordinates the planning of the Spiritual Life Committee, and supports the WSG community to continually reflect the roots of the Catholic faith. She/he abides by all guidelines set forth by the administration of WSG and specified in the WSG Personnel Handbook.
Brief Description of Classification: This is a full-time position, following schedule of full-time teachers
Detailed Description of Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Plan and prepare lessons, assignments, instructional materials;
- Teach grade and subject areas and perform duties assigned by Principal of the Washington School for Girls;
- Prepare and conduct classes that invite and foster optimal learning for each child;
- Evaluate student progress using appropriate assessment techniques;
- Confer with parents and students regarding progress/problems of assigned students; arrange and participate in teacher-parent or teacher-student conferences whenever indicated for the welfare of the student;
- Maintain a well-managed classroom;
- Monitor appropriate use and care of equipment, textbooks, materials, and facilities;
- Fulfill all record keeping and other administrative duties in a timely manner;
- Supervise breakfast, recess, lunch, club, advisory, and independent study activities according to schedule;
- Attend and actively participates in WSG staff/faculty, family meetings and provides input regarding the planning of instruction goals, objectives and methods (including occasional evening meetings).
- Actively participate in professional development courses/classes offered to improve skill and knowledge
- Represent the mission of WSG in thought, word, and action
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Coordinator of Campus Ministry:
- Facilitate an atmosphere of Christian hospitality where all feel welcome based on the Catholic faith tradition, rituals and WSG Core Values.
- Acknowledge and show an understanding of religious diversity within the school community;
- Lead the Spiritual Life Committee and coordinate its projects;
- Communicate regularly with principal, faculty, staff, students, and parents about campus ministry activities, programs, and projects
- Plan a variety of prayer experiences for the school including daily prayer and other liturgical and spiritual celebrations;
- Support student spiritual growth through active participation in faith activities
- Coordinate, plan, attend and lead spiritual retreat programs for all students and work with President (and others) to plan annual faculty retreat
- Coordinate, plan, attend and lead the school Christmas program as well as other school-wide celebrations related to the faith.
- Identify and lead opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to participate in activities that support the spiritual life of the school;
- Create opportunities for engagement of families in the spiritual life of the school;
- Serve as a liaison with Our Lady of Perpetual Help;
- Identify opportunities for student service learning and student service projects and plan at least one service learning experience for each grade level;
- Work with school leadership to strengthen the schools Catholic Identity by building on WSG’s strong ecumenical tradition;
- Encourage and support the WSG community to continually reflect the roots of faith, demonstrating a joy in our work and compassion and fellowship to students, co-workers, family members, and other community members.
- Reflect and model WSG values and attitudes as a Catholic School in interactions with students, teachers, families, and members of the public.
- Follow the policies and procedures of WSG as described in the WSG Personnel Handbook, including such items as being on time, professional dress, and maintaining appropriate records and reports.
- Demonstrate high standards of professionalism, including legal and professional ethics in interactions with students, faculty, staff, administrators, and members of the public.
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Strong personal alignment with the WSG mission
Practicing Catholic in good standing with the Church
A certified Catechist (or ability to obtain within 2 years)
Background in Catholic theology, commitment to excellent Catholic education
Ability to work with diverse populations;
Collaborative leadership and decision making
Data management tools, organizational tools, computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Google Email)
Proven ability to work as a member of a team
Commitment to their own learning
A minimum of three years teaching experience is required
Strong background of teaching reading is preferred
Education Requirements: Master’s Degree preferred in applicable field of education or related field.
Supervisory Responsibilities: No direct supervisory responsibilities
Accountable to: Principal and Assistant Principal
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request.
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attention: Religion Teacher and Coordinator of School Ministry - 2019-2020
or click on the APPLY NOW button below.