Mission: The Development Director is to be the catalytic force in fundraising for the Diocese. The Development Director will implement the Diocese’s fundraising program under the supervision of the Senior Advisor to the Bishop and the Chief Financial Officer, and will work with other diocesan staff members and volunteers. This is a new position. It is an exciting opportunity to help build a Diocesan Stewardship Office!
Duties: The Development Director will implement a comprehensive development plan and all fundraising activities as part of the plan, including but not limited to:
- Annual Appeal. Manage the Diocese’s Annual Appeal.
- Mailings. Design and manage several mass mailings and smaller, directed mailings.
- Major donor relations. Manage all activities for donor cultivation, solicitation and relations, including prospect research and major gift solicitations.
- Planned Giving. Develop a comprehensive and dynamic major and planned giving program. Plan programs and design materials focused on planned giving.
- Grants. Research foundations, develop grant proposals, and cultivate relationships with foundations and corporations.
- Online giving. Manage the Diocese’s online giving program.
- Communications. Manage communications as it pertains to the Office, including producing content for newsletters and the website, and press releases.
- Special events and projects. Plan special events and manage special projects.
- Campaigns. Work on endowment and capital campaigns (future)
- Administration. Maintain systems to support all fundraising operations including data entry and database management, correspondence with donors (acknowledgements, thank you letters, etc.), and all related records and files.
- Performs other duties as requested.
Requirements: The Development Director must possess the following qualities, education, skills, and experience:
- A Catholic in good standing with the Church. (An understanding of the Byzantine Catholic tradition is desirable but not necessary.)
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Progressively responsible fundraising experience in the not-for-profit sector is preferred.
- Ability to prioritize, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and plan and implement work (including goals, budgets, timelines, and action steps) to achieve objectives and solve problems. Also: attentive to detail.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision. Must be a person who takes the initiative – a “self-starter.” Flexible to changes in tasks and environment; exercises initiative-taking ability.
- Possess sound judgment and impeccable integrity
- Experience in developing and maintaining positive, productive working relationships with fellow staff and donors (an ability to work collaboratively). Must be a considerate team player and responsive to other team members, donors and others (for example, in fulfilling requests, completing projects and meeting deadlines). (Query: Do you help make the other members of your team better at what they do? Are you a good influence on them?)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, with internet search engines, and with fundraising software.
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout the Diocese and work after hours and on weekends as responsibilities require.
- Appreciative that fundraising is a ministry and enthusiastic to ask donors for support
- Several years’ experience with development, including mailings, annual giving programs, grant writing and face to face donor solicitations is preferred but not mandatory.
Salary and Benefits: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply: Submit resume, cover letter and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org (PREFERRED); or mail to: Development Director Search Committee, 5000 Rockside Road, Suite 310, Independence, OH 44131. At least two professional references and one character reference are required. Applications should be submitted as soon as possible; applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will be filled as soon as possible; not all applications will be acknowledged.