The Director of Music Ministry (DMM) is a professional who holds specialized credentials in music and who has a comprehensive understanding of Roman Catholic liturgy. This person of faith is responsible for setting a vision for liturgy at OLR based on the mission articulated by parish leadership. He/she is responsible for the effective planning, coordination, and execution of music within all of the liturgical celebrations of the parish.
The DMM is responsible for setting and executing a vision regarding the role of music in the celebration of the Sacred Liturgy. As a Director-level position, the DMM is expected to provide leadership, anticipation, and initiative. Central to this role is the recruiting and formation of strong cantors and instrumentalists, as well as the planning of liturgical music which leads the parish into powerful experience of worship. In particular, the DMM should craft a plan to grow the sacred music program over the next 3-5 years.
1. Using the mission as articulated by the parish leadership, develops a vision and implementation strategy as to the role of sacred music in the evangelization of the faithful.
2. Schedules and trains musicians.
3. Recruits, motivates, and directs all choirs of Our Lady of Ransom (adult, children, Filipino).
4. Selects and plans music for all Sundays, Holy Days of Obligation, special celebrations, weddings and funerals.
5. Prepares a budget for the parish music program.
6. Ministers at Sundays, Holy Days of Obligations, weddings and funerals.
7. Oversees the care and development of parish sound systems.
8. Keeps abreast of current developments in liturgy and music and directs music ministers to available training workshops and formational opportunities.
9. Is visibly present at parish events, keeping attuned to the living faith and real concerns of parishioners.
10. Develops recruiting strategy to meet need for musicians and choir members that includes a broad spectrum of parishioners.
11. Maintains the music library.
12. Fosters unity among all parish musicians and creates a spirit of harmony with the celebrant and other liturgical ministers.
• An active, practicing Roman Catholic.
• Master of Arts or Licentiate of Sacred Theology in music or liturgy with three years of experience in Catholic music ministry and liturgy is preferred, but all candidates will be considered.
• Proficiency in a musical art (organ, piano, or vocal). Strong preference will be given to candidates skilled in the organ.
• Knowledge of a variety of liturgical music styles and the ability to adapt to the needs and styles of the parish, including: traditional and modern hymnody, Gregorian chant and polyphony.
• Excellent communication, organizational and time management skills.
• Possesses music theory knowledge and able to teach sacred music to musicians at various skill levels.
• Experience and proficiency in leadership and management.
• Possesses ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Expert in liturgical rubrics and ritual books.
• Knowledgeable of relevant church documents on liturgy and music.
• Spiritual and personal maturity including: a strong relationship with Jesus Christ, a commitment to growing as a disciple of Jesus, awareness of the varied experiences of volunteers and guests; ability to be honest and open with other staff members; an ability to engage in healthy conflict for the sake of the mission; an awareness of healthy emotional boundaries; and a commitment to maintaining personal physical and emotional health.
• Full compliance with all policies and procedures of the Archdiocese of Chicago.
Our Lady of Ransom is looking to invest in and grow our music program. Salary will be commensurate with training and experience.
Please email a current resume to the Director of Parish Life, Cathy Williams, at firstname.lastname@example.org