Description of the Byzantine Catholic Eparchy (Diocese) of Parma. The Byzantine Catholic Eparchy (Diocese) of Parma is the Catholic Diocese that serves Byzantine Catholics in 12 states across the Midwest. The Diocese is one of 18 Eastern Catholic dioceses in the United States (and one of the 197 Catholic Dioceses in the US), in full communion with the Bishop of Rome. On June 1, 2018, Pope Francis appointed 44-year-old Bishop Milan Lach from Slovakia, a Jesuit, as Bishop of the Diocese. Bishop Milan is one of the youngest Catholic Bishops in the United States. The Diocese currently has 32 parishes and missions; the heaviest concentrations of parishes are in the metropolitan areas of Cleveland, Detroit, and Chicago.
Job Title: Editor, Horizons
Reports to: Bishop
Status: Part-time, Independent Contractor
Working under the direction of the bishop, the editor of Horizons oversees the complete spectrum of tasks associated with the timely publication of the marquee publication of the Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Parma. These tasks include but are not limited to the conceptualization, editorial content development, writing, and oversight of graphic design, to be carried out in keeping with the magisterial teachings of the Catholic Church in the Byzantine tradition.
- Conceptualizes and plans the content for each issue of Horizons in accordance with direction provided by the Bishop.
- Maintains potential story files and planning schedules.
- Works with the United States Post Office to ensure mailing regulations are maintained.
- Makes contacts with story subjects and maintains files.
- Writes and edits newspaper/magazine copy content in a timely and professional manner in accord with current newspaper/magazine standards, Associated Press Stylebook and other pertinent industry conventions.
- Writes copy and takes photographs for the eparchial website, eNewsletter, and social media platforms.
- Maintains story and photo archives.
- Ensures pertinent copy and photo releases are obtained from story subjects and releases are archived.
- Works in a collaborative fashion with outside vendors and counsel.
- Develops and maintains productive relationships with chancery staff, priests, parishioners, freelance writers, photographers, and graphic designers as needed.
- Produces the newspaper/magazine under budgetary guidelines. Possesses knowledge of magazine budgets and fiscal operations.
- Maintains publication vision and mission consistent with directions provided by the Bishop and ensures all content confirms with authentic teachings of the Catholic Church.
- Maintains memberships in pertinent professional organizations.
- Directs others involved with the production of the newspaper/magazine.
- Schedules and leads planning and production meetings.
- Attends and participates in advisory committee meetings.
- Networks and helps develop awareness of the magazine.
- Cooperates with Slovak TV Logos
- Assists, as needed, with other tasks in the Department of Communications
- Coordinates with accounting staff for managing billings and collections for subscriptions and advertising income
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, English or other applicable field
- Possesses impeccable grammar, editing and writing skills
- Five-years’ experience as editor of a major publication
- Experienced in photography and graphic design techniques
- Proficient in software related to the field including: Adobe, Excel, Word and PowerPoint