First and foremost, Cristo Rey Columbus seeks a President who demonstrates commitment to education – particularly for traditionally underserved students – and passion for the distinct mission, values, academic standards and Catholic identity of Cristo Rey.
Through transparent and frequent communication, this leader of absolute integrity will instill confidence and build trust with a broad base of internal and external stakeholders. She/he will leverage their proven fundraising and/or revenue generating success to ensure the sound financial standing and sustainability of the school.
As an innovative administrator and role model of the highest level of ethical and professional behavior, the next President will recognize, attract, mentor, develop and empower talented faculty and staff to drive the success of the students. This leader will also partner with a diverse Board of Trustees (Board) to advance priority initiatives.
This engaged and intellectually-curious leader will seize opportunities and anticipate challenges, facilitate sound and thoughtful decision-making, exhibit political savvy and celebrate the achievements of this distinctive school. She/he will ensure an inclusive environment that ensures all demographics associated with Cristo Rey thrive.
Based on this desired persona, the Cristo Rey Search Committee has outlined the following priorities and responsibilities for the role:
Mission-Driven Servant Leadership
As a faithful, practicing Catholic, the next President will be an inspirational and compassionate leader who will partner with the Board and Cristo Rey Leadership team to define and drive a focused strategy that further uplifts the diverse student community served by Cristo Rey. Confident, but humble, this leader will serve with integrity and promote the organization’s immediate educational outcomes while driving toward longer-term goals with buy-in from all stakeholders.
- Design and oversee the execution of an agile plan that supports the school’s educational mission with a special emphasis on the building and leading of the special culture of the school.
- Ensure organizational outcomes are in alignment with Cristo Rey’s mission, vision, value statements, brand, service standards, confidentiality standards and policies and procedures.
- Serve as the school’s liaison to the Cristo Rey Network and follow the 10 Cristo Rey Network mission Effectiveness Standards and Mission Statement.
- Foster a culture of inclusion and opportunity that enables students, staff and other Cristo Rey stakeholders to thrive.
The next President is responsible for the overall impact of Cristo Rey on the community. She/he will further establish and build relationships with top leaders in the community, including those representing religious, business, government, labor and non-profit sectors.
- Represent the school internally and externally; communicate the mission and programs of Cristo Rey to the school’s various publics.
- Work with parent groups and represent the school at civic, religious and public functions.
- Elevate Cristo Rey’s profile and reputation in the community so Cristo Rey is seen as a contemporary leader in youth development and education.
5 Cristo Rey Columbus + BeecherHill | Proprietary and confidential.
Introduction of Opportunity, Continued
The President is the primary steward of the work study partners and the highest-level donor relationships. She/he will educate and inspire support across the community in addition to raising funds for Cristo Rey.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit prospective new work study partners and donors; provide support and leadership in the ongoing efforts to retain current corporate job sponsors.
- Drive key results in fundraising (including a fundraising campaign, events, and planned and deferred giving).
- Leverage personal and professional contacts and relationships into fundraising opportunities.
- Promote a culture of fundraising in the organization, both at the staff and board level.
Organization Management and Strategic Execution
The President will be an inspirational, mission-focused leader who communicates transparently and creates a high performance and inclusive culture characterized by communication, collaboration and trust. She/he is accountable for building and leading high- performing teams to achieve both the expected organizational and educational outcomes.
- Directly supervise senior leadership positions and establish individual goals to meet organization’s objectives within budget parameters; ensure all teams are aligned and collaborating.
- She/he will empower the team to innovate within an accountable organization working to achieve clear and stated priorities.
- Partner with the Principal to continue the culture of discipline around data-driven decision making and utilize data and technology to guide the organization’s planning, goal setting, execution and outcome accountability.
- Pursuant to the Board-approved budget, provide final approval for financial affairs, including the management and use of scholarship and endowment funds, tuition and fee schedules, debt service and bank negotiations.
The President will optimize engagement of the Board of Trustees with focused and relevant communications and meeting agendas. The president will follow up/through on all resulting actions to enable a sustainable, well governed organization.
- Partner with the Board to execute a strategic plan that supports the agreed upon vision, yet enables the organization to easily adapt to change as necessary.
- As appropriate, join the Board in the recruitment and onboarding of new members to complement the organization’s governance, diversity and leadership needs.
- Be transparent, timely and concise in communication to and from the Board.
6 Cristo Rey Columbus + BeecherHill | Proprietary and confidential.
Key Attributes and Qualifications
- Business Acumen
- Culture Champion
- Externally Focused
- Open and Inviting
- People Developer
- Relationship Builder
- Team Builder
- Trusting and a Listener
- Faithful Catholic.
- Bachelor’s degree and, preferably, a graduate degree.
- Unquestionable integrity.
- Educational sensibilities and perspective necessary to validate his/her leadership in a school.
- Strategic planning experience and execution capabilities.
- Strong budget management skills.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills, including evidence of enhancing an organization’s financial strength and sustainability.
- Diverse experience with people of limited income.