BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
As a team member in the Institute for Lay Ministry (ILM), the Assistant Director of Admissions is responsible for supporting the Director of Admissions & Enrollment Management and, under the director, for the development, implementation, and coordination of student recruitment and retention programs, for commuter students.
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Admissions Counseling / Recruitment
- Student Retention / Outreach
- Enrollment Management Office Support
Admissions Counseling / Recruitment
Collaborate with the Director of Admissions & Enrollment Management in recruitment of students and admissions counseling:
- Under the direction of the Director of Admissions & Enrollment Management conduct recruitment activities both on and off campus, including the generation of new inquiries.
- Schedule and conduct interviews, assist prospective students in navigating the admissions process, and determine appropriateness of candidates for admission based upon ministry / formational goals and compatibility with Sacred Heart Major Seminary’s mission.
- Accurately explain educational programs, expected outcomes, student services, and basic financial consideration to prospective students and their support system.
- Serve as an ambassador, representing Sacred Heart Major Seminary at off-campus events.
- This position will conduct a high quantity of prospect phone contacts to secure appointments and interview activity, and conduct follow-up activity with unresolved interviewees and future class applicants.
- Implement a “communication cycle” through which active students are contacted at key points in the registration period in order to ensure that they register for courses.
- Work with the Director of Admissions & Enrollment Management to establish plans of action to address negative attrition/retention patterns, including establishing realistic re-entry goals and assisting students in their implementation.
- Assist in the advising of unclassified commuter students.
- This position will conduct a high quantity of phone outreach to active students to encourage enrollment, troubleshoot student concerns, and promote campus initiatives
Enrollment Management Office Support
Support the day-to-day functions required in the work of the Enrollment Management Office:
- Follow up with prospective students on attaining appropriate admissions documentation.
- Oversee day-to-day maintenance of admission files and track admission progress of all students in the admission process.
- Provide daily updates to the Director of Admissions and Enrollment Management on key performance indicators and metrics.
- Support the Director of Admission and Enrollment Management in implementing staff trainings and teaching best practices.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Admissions & Enrollment Management.
- Catholic in good standing with the Church, committed to advancing the mission, vision, and values of the Catholic Church, Sacred Heart Major Seminary, and the Archdiocese of Detroit.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s preferred.
- 3+ years experience in student recruitment or student services in a college or seminary setting.
- A proven record of service, strong interpersonal and administrative skills, and the ability to work in collaboration with students, staff, faculty, and administration.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Some evening and weekend hours required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer hardware and software, including database applications and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and confidentiality relating to student academic files.