BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
As a team member in the Institute for Lay Ministry (ILM), the Counselor is responsible for supporting the Admissions and Enrollment Manager and for the development, implementation, and coordination of student recruitment and retention programs, for commuter students.
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Admissions Counseling / Recruitment
- Student Retention / Outreach
- Admissions Office Assistant
Admissions Counseling / Recruitment
- Collaborate with the Director of Admissions and Enrollment Management in recruitment of students and admissions counseling.
- Support the Director of Admissions and Enrollment Management as needed in recruitment activities both on and off campus, including helping to generate new inquiries.
- Schedule and conduct interviews, assist prospective students in navigating the admissions process, and determine appropriateness of candidates for admission based upon ministry / formational goals and compatibility with Sacred Heart Major Seminary’s mission.
- Accurately and completely explain educational programs, expected outcomes, student services, and basic financial considerations to prospective students and their support system.
- Serve as an ambassador, representing Sacred Heart Major Seminary at on- and off-campus events.
- This position will conduct a high quantity of prospect phone contacts to secure appointments and interview activity, and conduct follow-up activity with unresolved interviewees and future class applicants.
- Implement a “communication cycle,” in collaboration with other seminary offices through which active students are contacted at key points in the registration period in order to ensure that they register for courses.
- Work with the Director of Admissions and Enrollment Management to establish plans of action, in coordination with other departments, to address negative attrition/retention patterns, including establishing realistic re-entry goals and assisting students in their implementation.
- This position will conduct a high quantity of phone outreach to active students to encourage enrollment, troubleshoot student concerns, and promote campus initiatives.
- Track retention and report to the Director of Admissions and Enrollment Management and the ILM Dean regarding retention statistics and patterns; use this information to enhance student retention and performance.
Admissions Office Assistant
- Support the clerical functions required in the work of the Admissions Office:
- Answering phones and recording messages.
- Creating, organizing, and maintaining admissions files.
- Follow up with prospective students on attaining appropriate admissions documentation.
Other duties as assigned by the Admissions Director.
- Catholic in good standing with the Church, committed to advancing the mission, vision, and values of the Catholic Church, Sacred Heart Major Seminary, and the Archdiocese of Detroit.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Bilingual English/Spanish strongly preferred.
- A proven record of service, strong interpersonal and administrative skills, and the ability to work in collaboration with students, staff, faculty, and administration.
- Some evening and weekend hours required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer hardware and software, including database applications and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and confidentiality relating to student academic files.