I'm a Canadian who is focused on moving his family to the United States. Most importantly, I'm a devout Catholic who loves the Church and would like to do more for Her. I am a proud member of the Knights of Columbus.
I have a deep set of business and technical skills obtained through a successful career in the financial industry. I have extensive senior management committee experience combined with a “Big 4” consulting background. I'm comfortable developing strategy and leading decision-making processes in Board and steering committee environments, as well as in detailed project teams.
I have spent most of my career as a senior technology and operations professional, with leadership roles in wealth management, brokerage and banking firms. I have deep experience in large, complex project delivery gained through multiple project management office (PMO) leadership roles.
Currently, I am Founder & CEO of a cloud-based music start-up called Trackster, launched and currently transitioning to a full-time management team located in Los Angeles.
Chief Executive Officer
Jan 2017 - Dec 2018
A cloud-based platform that lets any person, business, institution or charity run their own record label. The Trackster platform is made for making original, commercial-quality music, connecting music-makers to a massive global network of pro recording studios, session players, producers and audio professionals. Trackster provides instant global distribution to all main streaming platforms (e.g. Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer).
- Inventor of Trackster - concept, brand, business model and architecture.
- Recruited senior management, board and operating teams.
- Funded, built and launched two versions of the Trackster platform - prototype and production – over last three years (~$750k). Trackster is entirely funded by its four partners.
- Jumped in full-time as CEO in early 2017. Launched platform in Fall 2017. Early success is spectacular and has led to partnership discussions aimed at quickly scaling the business.
- Launched version 2.0 of the platform on June 1.
- New management and expanded operations teams will be in place January 1, 2019.
- Signed a global distribution partnership with Believe Music – largest independent global music distributor - allowing any Trackster record label to instantly release music.
- Launched ‘Blue Sky – Music for Flood Relief’, to make and sell music to raise money for victims of flooding in Puerto Rico and the American South.
- Ongoing discussions to be a key early music platform in a massive global, UN-sponsored Blockchain (& ICO) initiative.
Chief Technology Officer
Jan 2014 - Jan 2017
Mawer Investment Management Ltd.
An independent investment firm managing portfolios for a broad range of pension plans, not-for-profit organizations, strategic alliances and individual investors. The firm manages in excess of $40 billion across all major asset classes and has offices in Canada and Singapore.
- Member of Mawer’s Management Committee, reporting to the Board of Directors. During my tenure, assets under management grew from $18b to more than $40b, with no significant technology or operational incidents.
- Chief Technology Officer, responsible for determining the firm’s strategic technology direction, overseeing provision of infrastructure, security, data, project delivery (PMO), user support and business process improvement.
- Managed a $12m annual technology budget and a team of 25 full-time and contract resources.
- Using a number of leading third parties, conducted a thorough assessment of the firm’s cyber security readiness. Implemented an ongoing penetration testing program, quarterly firm-wide user training and developed a priority-based roadmap to address deficiencies in areas such as identity access management, endpoint protection, vulnerability management and incident response.
- Responsible for adherence to the firm’s business continuity and disaster recovery policies, including planning and executing annual scenario testing.
Nov 2005 - Jan 2014
Capstream was established in late 2005 as a provider of operating solutions and business support services to the Canadian financial services industry. Its principals had over 80 years of combined experience working with financial services organizations, including senior management roles in brokerage, money management and trust/banking firms.
Over 7 years, successfully completed a variety of mandates for a number of established Canadian financial services firms, including:
- BMO Financial Group - CRM implementation (com), Capital Markets;
- BMO Capital Markets - Cloud Protection Strategy, RFP and implementation (CipherCloud)
- CIBC Mellon Global Securities Services – High Net Worth product strategy
- Raymond James Ltd. - implementation of Fidessa CTP, Managed Asset product strategy
- HSBC Securities Canada - implementation of Charles River, AMA product implementation
- Credential Financial - led PMO and developed proprietary technology solution
- Citigroup Fund Services Canada - strategic opportunity assessment
Vice President - Business Solutions
Oct 2000 - Nov 2005
Laurentian Bank of Canada (B2B Bank)
B2B Trust (now B2B Bank) is a regulated financial institution that provides financial products and intermediary services to the Canadian independent financial advisor (IFA) community and selected non-financial institutions. During my tenure, annual revenues were approximately $60m and assets under administration exceeded $5b.
- Responsibility for all technology architecture, infrastructure and processes, as well as management of the Bank’s Project Management Office.
- Primary capital budget and operating responsibilities as a member of the B2B Trust (Senior) Management Committee and the LBC Planning Committee.
- Directed all change management initiatives and managed business analysts, project managers and system developers as well as all service level agreements with internal and external providers.
- Determined B2B Trust’s strategic operating and technology orientation and architecture. On an annual basis, presented strategic initiatives to the Laurentian Bank Board of Directors.
- Data consolidation – developed data warehouse for client banking and investment holdings and online origination and scoring system for B2B Trust loan products.
Sep 1998 - Oct 2000
As a member of the Investment Management and Capital Markets practice, responsible for leading consulting engagements for various top-tier clients in the areas of operations strategy, process improvement and change implementation.
- Managed, on an interim basis, the external fund accounting department of a large Canadian bank. Oversaw the day-to-day operations of the department, including signing off on the net asset values of 140 daily-valued funds. Performed an analysis of the current fund accounting processes and implemented a restructuring of roles in the department.
- On an ongoing basis, managed the internal audit of a provincial government’s investment management division. Identified, recommended and implemented process re-engineering opportunities and defined appropriate risk management activities.
- Assisted a major Canadian global custodian in a process re-engineering effort in custody operations. Implementation of the process changes resulted in improved processing times, greatly reduced numbers of failed trades and a reduction in client service issues.
- Managed systems and process evaluations and implementation for two large Canadian investment management firms. Assisted in defining the appropriate long-term business strategy and associated operating environment, with a strong focus on integrated, enterprise-wide technology solutions and CRM.
BA - Political Science
Sep 1984 - Apr 1988